Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Cannot see the other side of the Sound due to a scotch mist. Not actually raining but just wet.

Later I must go and visit my wildlife pal as not been for a while and he has been busy with outdoor things like sheep dog trials and events involving guns.

Do old grey Fergies count as vintage yet?
I remember working with them and we had a petrol/paraffin one as well as a diesel. No cabs or any such nonsense so elfin safety would have a paloorie nowadays.
My software is convinced I mean ferries so I have to keep a careful watch on what actually appears. :rolleyes:

Definitely vintage. Production stopped in 1956 although there are still a few around in regular use.

tyred

Legendary Member
I think the rain has got even heavier. :rain:

Do old grey Fergies count as vintage yet?
I remember working with them and we had a petrol/paraffin one as well as a diesel. No cabs or any such nonsense so elfin safety would have a paloorie nowadays.

I remember in my early years in Germany, ca 2001-2002 we watched an old Bavrian farmer and his wife harvesting potatoes: they were on a rather ancient machine towed by a tractor, sorting out the spuds as the machine dug them up. As they approached the end of the field the farmer got off, walked to the tractor, and took the rope off the steering wheel. Then he turned the contraption around, pointed it back up the field, reattached rope, waited for the tractor to pass and climbed on the harvester, then carried on sorting potatoes with his wife.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Walkies has been walked.. 8 miles in chilly sunshine ☀
DSC_5278.JPG

Thirsty dog, too! 😂

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I remember in my early years in Germany, ca 2001-2002 we watched an old Bavrian farmer and his wife harvesting potatoes: they were on a rather ancient machine towed by a tractor, sorting out the spuds as the machine dug them up. As they approached the end of the field the farmer got off, walked to the tractor, and took the rope off the steering wheel. Then he turned the contraption around, pointed it back up the field, reattached rope, waited for the tractor to pass and climbed on the harvester, then carried on sorting potatoes with his wife.

My dad bought an old army lorry for his fencing/draining business and used to do something similar. It had a slow crawler gear and he set it off to drive along the side of a field and stood in the back throwing out his fence posts. Can imagine health and safety now! Doubt it would have stopped him though. :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member

Many a farmer has run over himself doing things like that. Miss your step and you fall between the wheels.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Chain digger or spinner? My great great great grandfather was a Bavarian farmer, but they made him clear out after the whole 1848 episode.

Many a farmer has run over himself doing things like that. Miss your step and you fall between the wheels.

The thought occurred to me at the time, after all he was stepping onto a moving vehicle, in front of a large wheel, from muddy uneven ground. I refrained from comment because (1) I was new to Germany and could barely speak German, let alone Bavarian, and (2) He was about 75, and I figured anyone reaching that age while following such practices probably knew what they were doing and would manage to survive his remaining years and would probably die in bed after a very large dinner.

tyred

Legendary Member
The thought occurred to me at the time, after all he was stepping onto a moving vehicle, in front of a large wheel, from muddy uneven ground. I refrained from comment because (1) I was new to Germany and could barely speak German, let alone Bavarian, and (2) He was about 75, and I figured anyone reaching that age while following such practices probably knew what they were doing and would manage to survive his remaining years and would probably die in bed after a very large dinner.

It just needs to be done with care and a lot depends on the tractor and how easy they are to get on. Despite their size, Fergusons are tricky as they don't have proper steps. David Browns had terrible driver access, especially if it doesn't have power steering as the steering arm is just inside the door ready to trip you up. Anyone who tries to get into a moving Muir Hill has a death wish.

Top Bottom