Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Started off as a nice sunny day but sudden have showers of rain soon put a dampener on that but managed a short walk in a dry bit. Very cold strong wind tho'.
When I came home my doorstep had been painted but it is under the cover of a porch. Just need to remember to step over the painted bit till it dries properly.

Since the wheels will have to come off the car next week I looked for the key for the locking wheel nuts. Not to be found anywhere but a vague memory of something about that came near the brain surface and looked out my past garage bills. Sure enough the locked nuts were removed and replaced with plain ones in May his year and looking at the wheels the newer ones are nice and shiny.
Memory is definitely going!

Cannot be bothered to cook so having an Aldi Frozen curry heated in microwave. Rogan Josh with chicken.

The small hedgehog is out on our back lawn again. I put down some cat biscuits for it . I saw it sniffing the air and it went in the opposite direction. It eventually went back and discovered then. It ate a few and then went of foraging on the lawn. Georgie wandered down from the top of the garden and wondered what it was doing on his lawn. He left it alone but kept an eye on it .Whilst I was watching all of this an Emperor Dragonfly flew bay and started patrolling the garden . Flying up and down the hedgerow and flying low across the lawn.

Mike_P

Guru
Finding a lock nut wasn't problem, finding a 7mm spanner to fit it another matter. An empty hook in the shed between the 6mm and the multiples of 8mm. Eventually found after first refilling a knocked over measuring jug full of assorted screws and other bits really in need of being properly sorted. Question now will the seed feeder stay in place.

Last edited:
Figures arrived.jpg

A nice person in the UK sent me some figures to paint.

Yes; I am a geek.

A very blustery couple of days here chez Casa Reynard.

Yesterday morning was spent picking fruit and foraging, getting stuff in before the worst of the weather. The wind wanging the trees around will either a) drop the fruit on the ground and b) bruise it so that it rots on the tree / doesn't keep. So apples and the first walnuts of the season nicely stored.

Yesterday afternoon was spent making greengage jam - which was interrupted partway through by the pot having a volcano moment while I was in the utility room furkling for jars because the parental didn't think to keep and eye on things. So kitchen floor needed cleaning, as did the cooker, to remove all the burned caramel / fruit from the top and front. Didn't end up finishing till quite late in the evening. Ho hum.

Today hasn't been much better. My tomato plants have fainted because the one inch thick hazel stakes anchoring the planters snapped in the storm. I cut new (green) stakes, but the soil is much too dry to get them in any further than a couple of inches. I will wait till tomorrow's rain has moved through. In the mean time, I've moved a couple of planters and cable tied the plants to the guttering down pipe as a temporary solution. It can't be permanent, as these are in the shade.

Then at lunchtime, I get a call that went precisely as follows: This is an automated call. The bank reports unauthorized activity on your account for a sum of X and a sum of Y. To find out more, please press 1.

At that point, I hung up. The message didn't say which bank or which account, so I strongly suspect it is more than likely an attempt at a scam. I've made a note of the details in the phone call, and shall be double checking things anyway. We have had no further calls. In my experience with the bank fraud teams, they call you directly (not an automated call) and will mention the bank name and what the transactions are - as I found out last year when I tried buying something from a Bay of E seller in Latvia.

This afternoon I noticed that the storm had dumped half my damson crop on the ground - and that the fruit was mostly eaten / pecked. I picked what was salvageable from the ground, then took the pruning pole and bagged the remainder of the fruit. The latter still isn't quite ripe, so it's spread out in a tray to ripen. The former is now being made into an impromptu batch of damson & apple jam, as I noticed several apples in the fruit bowl that needed using.

The universe is having FAR too much fun at my expense... :cry:

tyred

Legendary Member
I went out for about 25 miles on the single speed and came back absolutely drookit. This must be the wettest August I ever remember.

I booked a few nights in a hostel from next Wednesday for a a few leisurely days cycling around the Boyne Valley and trying out a new Greenway.

Now I've got an email from my solicitor informing me has booked the appointment for my ankle assessment/report thingy with the private consultant I seen the last time. Problem being is that is in the opposite side of the country 😔 So that's my long cycling weekend messed up one way or another. :banghead: Undecided whether to cancel the hostel, try to re-arrange the appointment or just be prepared to do a lot of driving. Probably best to keep the appointment really and get this whole mess over with asap.

I am going to have my usual Friday night pie and chips.:hungry:

Top Bottom