Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The problem with drinking water is that fish pee in it!

When we arrived on Mull the tap water had to be left to settle and let the wildlife sink to the bottom of the tumbler. Tiny water snails and all sorts of things swimming around. Never did us any harm. We now have a newish water works so all that is filtered out.
When I did photography the final rinse had to be inspected to avoid any captives on the prints.

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
Cannot remember the details but somebody once told me that the tap water in a large English city had passed through seven sets of kidneys before it reached you.

Maybe but having visited a large water works, as an Engineer, and seeing first hand how things work, reservoir, water filters, more filtration then consumer our British water (other countries available) you need not worry.

Cannot remember the details but somebody once told me that the tap water in a large English city had passed through seven sets of kidneys before it reached you.

I remember a colleague from Singapore had trouble with people claiming that her home country was "disgusting" because they had water recycling plants. She cheered up when I pointed out that so did everyone else.

I find it remarkable what people find to pretend they're "superior" when they're desperate and/or racist enough.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Weather turned out better than expected so managed a short walk. On my hospital visit last week I must have walked miles along bland featureless corridors. Furthest I have walked in a long time tho' I could have got a wheelchair if I wanted.
Cleared out a lot of bike related bits from the car. Somehow when I take bits out to try them I never get round to returning them and they accumulate.
The drivers side is always kept free of junk but the back with seats removed is a different matter.
The AA have sent me a renewal request reminding me I have been a member for 62 years and they want nearly £250 for the next 12 months. I have not made use of their services much but it was probably cost effective in the past when I did.
I would probably find it difficult nowadays to even change a wheel [ I do have a spare] so I think I have to continue meantime.

Had a lovely luncheon of toasted and buttered crumpets with stilton, an apple, a pear and two :cuppa:

Watered all the planters - added some feed to the water this time. My cherry tomatoes are finally beginning to show signs of ripening. They are about a month late compared to the last couple of years.

Afterwards, off I went walking and foraging. I had a lovely afternoon. Have picked a small bag of rowanberries (reach was a problem!), a pound and a half of blackberries, and stopped off at the community orchard on the way home, so I am now also a basket of Jolly Miller apples to the good.

While I was out, I ate four apples (a Lord Peckover, a Jolly Miller and two St Everard) and a handful of blackberries, so if you lot perchance come across any rumblings and gales, that'll be me... :crazy:

Do you eat the skins on your jacket potatoes, or potatoes which have been cooked with the skin still on
them?

It is to be noted that international incidents can be the result of doing this, not me fortunately.

My father used to put milk and sugar on his lettuce.

Yup, I don't peel tatties unless making mash or roasties.

In Poland, they dress lettuce with soured cream.

tyred

Legendary Member
Another day of work over and I had some of the leftover curry from last night.

I had an hour to work up this evening as I had popped out to the arts festival office to leave back the last of the their stuff and I was given a gift set from the local brewery as a thank you for my volunteering services. Very much appreciated and I now have a nice glass, oddly enough 330ml even though their beer comes in 500ml bottles. I can add it to all the other glasses I have in my cupboard. Not sure what I need them all for as nobody ever visits me.

I suspect rain may occur in the not too distant future. I really should go for a ride but the recent COVID event seems to have zapped my energy. I will read something.

Mike_P

Guru
Asda for the ebike this evening. Always amused how mobile Strava makes it look like a stack of HC climbs
IMG_20240814_195533.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Day 2 of the Kirkpatrick C2C done, in sunny weather which let me regret having only a 36x28 lowest gear. The terrain was like this (looking towards the hill I had to climb from a hill I'd just gone up):

PXL_20240814_122646385.jpg

And this (looking back, including the steep valley I'd just descended into and climbed out of):

PXL_20240814_124033734.jpg

The legs are now complaining despite a lovely Polish meal at Adam's Kitchen in Hawick.

Tomorrow is back to lots of rain unfortunately for a final 75+ miles to Eyemouth .

Last edited:
Top Bottom