Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'd to buy my cylinders to start with, from BOC, then they did away with buying them and moved to a deposit type scheme.
I lost twice, when they changed to a deposit type scheme they kept the money used to buy the bottles. Then when the depot closed whilst I'd bottles in use.

As far as I remember Calor have a deposit system but it is a while since I got a cylinder which came with an auxiliary heater. I remember I had an empty one to exchange which had been lying about for years.

dicko

Guru
Privately owned Spitfire just flew over our house!

IMG_4021.jpeg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
T'is one way of describing them.
Can't be many that remember regular steam locomotive use on this island.
It's the aroma of "chugging mechanics" I'm struggling with.

Littlemill Distillery at Bowling supplied surplus water to the local railway station which had a large tank for refilling the water tanks on locomotives. This water was mostly hot as it was surplus cooling water from the condensers. Locomotives made a point of filling there if possible as it reduced the work of raising steam.
As an aside Bowling was the only railway station where the toilets were flushed with hot water. This I know to be true as I lived in Bowling as distillery manager.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My neighbours put their two bikes on the back of their Golf using one of those strapped on racks but they cover the number plate and the lights in the process. They also have it it fitted in such a way that the thing is putting pressure on the rear window. Surely that can't be a good idea.

I'd expect two bikes would go inside a Golf with the front wheels off.

I have a rack like that somewhere. I bought it to use with the 205 but never used it as I just don't trust it. A trial fitting made me feel it wasn't very secure. Maybe I just over-think it and all the things that could go wrong.

I think either put them inside the car or else fit a towbar and use a quality rack

I still have a rack like that lying around somewhere and it is not difficult to avoid weight on the rear window on my car. I also have a light bar as plod can do you for having no visible lights and I think it is a fairly hefty penalty when caught.

Mike_P

Guru
Wind turned very gusty this afternoon. Evri turned up insisting of taking a photo of a me with a package small enough to fit through the letterbox. Was a pack of switches, only needed one but cheaper to buy four.
12v cool box subsequently fixed of its non working switch. Took a bit longer than expected as the new switches contact tabs were slightly closer together requiring the slots
in the PCB lengthening slightly. In doing that I managed to cause one of the LEDs to break its PCB circuit ends so that ended up superglued in situ and wires soldered from it to appropriate locations on the PCB.
Hermes then turned up with a 🐿️ baffle fot the seed feeder.

tyred

Legendary Member
A relaxing day. I didn't really do much apart from read a bit and listen to music. Headache gone, able to breathe through my nose again and just a little catarrh at the back of my throat.

I think I will have pie and chips for tea.

I think tomorrow, I will be well enough to venture for a ride. I probably would have been today but didn't want to risk making myself ill again.

cookiemonster

Squire
I’m outa here! 😎

IMG_2100.jpeg

Covid test done. Just waiting on the results.

This particular box is really stingy on the suspension fluid. There's barely enough provided to do each test, and if you put the nozzle on the squeezy tube, the fluid just gets trapped in the flange of the nozzle and you can't actually get any out. Best to pour from the tube onto the test patch *sans* nozzle.

Top Bottom