Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Maybe they'd already booked the flights. :whistle:

Did any planes take off?

Mike_P

Guru
.My neighbour said they were not Ambulance staff, and had a designation of "Emergency something or other". Is that Emergency Responders?
Sounds right.
You clown I thought walking into the kitchen this morning, hunting last night in the freexer for today's dinner had resulted in a freezer drawer being taken out briefly. I must have not noticed a 2/3rd full box of choc ices had fallen out.
Breakfast was enlivened by watching Ollie, the not quite Snowshoe cat, balancing not too well at times on the fence trying to nab a bird without landing on my back garden and getting squealed at by the cat deterrent

IMG_20240726_082734.jpg

Think a spiky strip is needed in the best interests of the feathered ones

tom73

Guru
This is question for anyone who knows the NHS. I was talking to one of my neighbours yesterday. He described how his elderly wife, who has severe arthritis, fell down when coming back into the house. He was not able to help her get up, and he called an ambulance.

Two people arrived very promptly. They were in a unmarked car, and I think he said they were not in uniform. They had some very large inflatable cushions, and were able to help her back onto her feet, and reach a chair. My neighbour said they were not Ambulance staff, and had a designation of "Emergency something or other". Is that Emergency Responders?

He was very pleased with them. Later that evening a district nurse turned up to take a blood test. The nurse said that was usual after a fall. I have heard that infections of any sort can cause dizziness and then falls.

It sound's like some sort oflocal based fall/ frailty response service. Be some sort of joint service between the ambo service , local NHS and local council. Many areas have fall prevention service who visit people who are at risk of falls and assess if they need any input from other services. In many areas it's done by the fire service as part of home fire safety visits. The aim of all of theses sort of local initiatives is to prevent unnecessary admission to hospitals. Many areas also have rapid care service which is aimed at giving people treatment at home. If they are in danger of being admitted to hospital within 2 hours left without intervention.

Emergency responders or more correctly Emergency 1st responders are volunteers who are trained in advanced first aid inc AED. What they can do depends on the local ambo service. Who are the once who run the service, they are sent at the same time as an ambulance . The idea being as they are local they can arrive quicker and in case of heart attack get an AED to them quicker. I've done it but not often as I mostly do ambo support work if i'm free. They do wear some sort of uniform normally a polo shirt, they often have ambo service high viz. They don't come in marked cars, (though I do but only because I have access to a RRV) often they have sign in the window saying who they are. they also don't have blue lights or the right to brake speed limits.
I've not heard of any who also attend falls and get you back on your feet. But it's possible they are link into any local based fall/ frailty response service

Some areas the abmo service work with the fire service and send them to certain emergency calls. Mostly heart attacks and breathing difficalutes. Again they are not instead of but in addiction to an ambulance. Some fire service areas have even started to employ paramedic based directly out of the fire station. Which are sent to such call outs.

You also get BASICS , (British Association for Immediate Care) responders which are bit like emergency 1st responders. But are advanced trained HCP's mostly Dr's it's quite popular with GP's but also Nursers. Again they are volunteers it's ran by the local ambo service but are independent of them. Mrs 73 want's to do it but our local ambo service don't recruit nurses. She's good friends with the national clinical lead who is a nurse so it odd they don't take them. They do have mark cars, the sort of call out BASICS do are road accidents and the like they are often used in rural areas. I've seen them a time or two out and about in the peak district.

Last edited:
It's a warm and occasionally sunny day here chez Casa Reynard.

Slept well. Spent the morning cutting grass, and I shall spend the afternoon doing much of the same. Although I am limited somewhat by only having 1/4 of a tank of fuel left, having dumped the spare can into the car previous week. At least I will have enough fuel to deal with the more public facing areas of the garden, but I will have to fill up my two cans before I can finish the remainder.

I have decided to dig out my ice cream maker. With the new freezer now in operation, I have plenty of space to put the bottom section in there to chill it right down. When I bought it, I couldn't justify the expense buying one that both cooled and churned - and well, I still can't justify it. But I've got some serious hankering for ice cream, so I shall buy some appropriate ingredients when I next go shopping. The only thing I need to decide is what flavour to make...

Anyways, it is time for luncheon, and I am decidedly peckish.

Ok l give up trying to erect a two tier scaffold tower thingy. Apart from the fact that l can't remember which bolts go where , the temperature is currently 30 c . plus , and humidity is 40% . There is no breeze and l am cooking !! Time to retire gracefully and have a chat with my dogs which are occupying the sofa.....how mundane can one get ?

postman

Squire
I know this is not important to you lot.But the poo poo has hit the fan.Yesterday we got a phone call,from our holiday provider.Very early in the year they changed our boat and a later date.Only a week so no problems.Right cabin picked with a full length patio door to our own little balcony,so i can have some peace if i feel tired.All this was sorted in APRIL.Booked paid for in full soddin thousands,cabin allocated.So yesterday a sorry phone call,your cabin has been changed by the friggin shitty American boat company.A good will gesture of £199 refund,and you get acrappy DOWNGRADE a poxy little window with a view of a lifeboat we think.Oh well it is not happening.Mrs P has gone ballistic.What i think has happened they have not filled the boat to capacity,so they have given people a chance with a nice cabin,and said sod the English we will put them in the crap cabins we cannot sell.No way is this going to happen to Mr and Mrs P.Five weeks today we go to Larndan overnight to fly to San Francisco.The next few days are going to be interesting,and as usual with this company they have not phoned or responded with our urgent request to talk to a customer care person.

postman

Squire
Oh! another question, probably @Classic knows this.

I do not want to get into the realm of politics on this thread. How do I find out why the Rwanda scheme cost £700 million? Allowing for £20 million that was given to Rwanda, what was the rest spent on? Legal fees?
Brewery and piss up ,comes to mind.It's amazing how many people make a lot of money and nothing gets done.We are being run by total idiots.I give up.I voted Labour because they will ruin the country quicker than the Tories.Might as well get it over and done with.In my 'umble eyes both parties are pillocks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know this is not important to you lot.But the poo poo has hit the fan.Yesterday we got a phone call,from our holiday provider.Very early in the year they changed our boat and a later date.Only a week so no problems.Right cabin picked with a full length patio door to our own little balcony,so i can have some peace if i feel tired.All this was sorted in APRIL.Booked paid for in full soddin thousands,cabin allocated.So yesterday a sorry phone call,your cabin has been changed by the friggin shitty American boat company.A good will gesture of £199 refund,and you get acrappy DOWNGRADE a poxy little window with a view of a lifeboat we think.Oh well it is not happening.Mrs P has gone ballistic.What i think has happened they have not filled the boat to capacity,so they have given people a chance with a nice cabin,and said sod the English we will put them in the crap cabins we cannot sell.No way is this going to happen to Mr and Mrs P.Five weeks today we go to Larndan overnight to fly to San Francisco.The next few days are going to be interesting,and as usual with this company they have not phoned or responded with our urgent request to talk to a customer care person.

Definately not on, especially spending big, and the cabin is definately a deal breaker.

Top Bottom