Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For something to do this morning once I'd done the recycling centre trip I steam mopped the kitchen floor and then decided to install the new BT router while the floor dried. There was a bit of an 'oh ***' moment when nothing I connected to one of the ports would work, but a bit of searching showed that this port is something to do with full fibre broadband (which I don't have) and that a simple reconfiguration from the router's home page changes it back to a standard ethernet port so I now have a fully functioning system. With luck I've also set up everything to recognise the new Wi-Fi details.

BT also provided a returns label for the old router, so I boxed it up and took a stroll to the Post Office to drop it off, continuing into town for a free takeaway coffee to drink on the way home. Six very warm, humid & drizzly miles completed.

Mike_P

Guru
Dry on exiting the office came as a surprise. Went to Asda, looking for Scampi I came away with a pack of Magnum choc ices!

tom73

Guru
Wonder how many MP's who are being sworn in and opting to affirm over swear to god. Know that it'll down to one MP's fight who even got set to prison for refusing to swear to god. At one point being banned from re-standing but he did anyway. Even though not on ballot paper the public voted for him. Finally allowed to go to parliament but only address it from the bar and not in the floor of house. He believed he had a legal right as it was by then allowed in court. When they did allow him to do so they left to court to decide if it was legal. Hoping the legal fight would bankrupt him. Time after time he came to parliament demanding to take his seat. He was physically ejected by the police and parliamentary officials, suffering injuries in the process. Finally after 6 years he won and the law was changed.

Charles Bradlaugh was a life long humanist and secularist. Founder of the secularist society and social campaigner. His greatest victory was on his death bed when the parliament ruled preventing him taking the oath in the first place "be expunged from the journals of the House, as being subversive of the rights of the whole body of electors of this Kingdom".

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Wonder how many MP's who are being sworn in and opting to affirm over swear to god. Know that it'll down to one MP's fight who even got set to prison for refusing to swear to god. At one point being banned from re-standing but he did anyway. Even though not on ballot paper the public voted for him. Finally allowed to go to parliament but only address it from the bar and not in the floor of house. He believed he had a legal right as it was by then allowed in court. When they did allow him to do so they left to court to decide if it was legal. Hoping the legal fight would bankrupt him. Time after time he came to parliament demanding to take his seat. He was physically ejected by the police and parliamentary officials, suffering injuries in the process. Finally in after 6 years he won and the law was changed.

Charles Bradlaugh was a life long humanist and secularist. Founder of the secularist society and social campaigner. His greatest victory was on his death bed when the parliament ruled preventing him taking the oath in the first place "be expunged from the journals of the House, as being subversive of the rights of the whole body of electors of this Kingdom".

Cannot remember the details and not sure where to find out but did something similar not happen to at least one SNP MP?
He [or she or they] refused to swear allegiance to the monarch of the time.
I know the earlier ones in the english parliament did swear but had their fingers firmly crossed behind their backs.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nice sunny warm morning. Clouded over after lunch but not raining.
Need to arrange an Xray tomorrow which will be in Craignure 21 miles away.
Met some of the old worthies at the boat slip which appears to be a gathering place and took a folding stool down for a more ancient friend who was complaining about nowhere to sit as all the seats are occupied by touroid.
He is renovating after a fashion a motorboat he bought with an eye to resell. Not that he needs to cash but just something to do.
Behind his house he has the most amazing pile of useful junk in a large shed. I have had a couple of old but unused bikes from him and in return given him some useful bits and pieces. A reversing camera for his LWB van is one I gave him as he has a convoluted reverse to get to or from his house.

tom73

Guru
Cannot remember the details and not sure where to find out but did something similar not happen to at least one SNP MP?
He [or she or they] refused to swear allegiance to the monarch of the time.
I know the earlier ones in the english parliament did swear but had their fingers firmly crossed behind their backs.

Dennis Skinner famously use to do that. The some Irish MP's make a point of stating they are doing so under protest. Sinn fan of course never take seats which is optional , taking the the oath is not.

tyred

Legendary Member
Turned out to be a horrible evening. A shame as yesterday was so nice. Looks like summer was on the eighth of July this year. Time for winter again.

I had hoped to go out on the bike for a bit after work but a combination of rain, wind and feeling tired meant I didn't bother. I walked over with the recycling instead, hoping to fit it in between the showers but failed! :rain:

Why is it beyond some people's comprehension to actually put their tims and glass bottles into the correct bins instead of just throwing them beside it and probably dumping a load of other rubbish too?

It's the same with the machines we now have for returning plastic bottles. People stuff them full of all sorts of rubbish and then moan when they stop working.

Errands were erranded. Although things weren't made easy by the road being closed for works just the other side of the level crossing. So I had to do a seven mile detour just to be able to get to Black Bank.

Anyways, stock car programmes picked up and a suitable quantity of groceries have been acquired.

I do have to go to a friend's in the village tomorrow to take some photos of the cats she's fostering for the Siamese Cat Welfare Trust, but I think the roadworks will be passable on a bicycle if I scoot into the verge for those 15 feet or so...

Had a Croque Monsieur, a sliced tomato and the last of the Waldorf salad for supper.

Top Bottom