Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Started rereading Travels with Rosinante and I need the reading light on to see properly.

Went up to the dump to put some bits in the charity shop container. Amazing that some people have the cheek to dump rubbish in there which is so damaged it is useless and costs the charity shop volunteers extra work dumping it. Piles of fabric as well, ignoring the container for fabrics.

A cruise liner has made an unscheduled stop here and there are lots of sodden people wandering around since while I was out it was pouring rain. Perhaps the gales have made their scheduled stop unsafe or uncomfortable.

BT are telling me we are going digital in the next 30 days but no idea what this entails. My nearest neighbour works for Openreach so he can keep me posted.

It will be the turning off the analog copper network they are updating the network across the country. Should lead to better network and faster broadband speeds.

minor highway car crash a cpl days ago. it's drivable but now I have to deal with all that. online claim is filed, had my follow-up phone call w/ insurance person, need to get an appraisal, then need to get it fixed & a rental unit ... ugh

Had a nice bicycular bimble in spite of the hoolie that's rattling through here. Up into Downham and along the Hythe. Had hoped to extend somewhat, but this ride is hilly for this neck of the woods, and my chain kept slipping on the cassette / gearshift had a mind of its own under load. So rather than risk a mechanical, I did an about face and turned for home, which was, thankfully, mostly downhill.

Stopped off at the village hall to vote.

A nice surprise to see they've *finally* installed some bike racks in the car park nearly eight years since I first mentioned it to the committee - sheffield stands with an added wall anchor. Mind you, the friend I go dog walking with now does the hall accounts, and she told me a while back that they had a budget / grant to minimise their impact on the environment. And it seems that she's eventually managed to persuade the right people that installing secure bicycle parking was a worthwhile thing to do. Outside of Ely and Cambridge, the cycling infrastructure around here isn't especially brilliant, and the alternative was either a) wheel your bike into the hall, b) lock it to the bars of the disabled access or c) prop it up against a wall and take a chance that it's still there when you come back.

After voting, went to check the book exchange. Good job I had a bike with luggage (Wiggy #2, the Chartres hybrid), as I ended up wobbling home with a full pannier of books.

Have fed the cat, and am now sat down with a :cuppa:

tom73

Guru
Just called into out local tescos they are moving everything around. Not sure why some things are now with other things. The flow is a bit lost but having not seen the full store lay out and sales plan. It's hard to see that they are trying for. A few things are also being delisted so stocked up on biscuits for Mrs 73 snap for work. The packs of shortbread will go away for Christmas it's well in date. Vinto cardinal was on club card not had it for years. So having a treat be nice made up with the lemonade I also got.

Mike_P

Guru
Horrible windy day. Put the washing out at lunchtime and every hour rearranged its wind blown nature. Still it dried quickly. Wind finally started abating around 6 but still the odd howl to be heard. So a combined vote and Sainsbury's shop by car. Managed to open up my universal tv remote which is in need of a new battery pack. Then checked the tracking of the new battery to find that is coming from the Netherlands. Hopefully no problems unlike the ebikes.

Had a jacket potato topped with a mix of chopped gammon, chopped turkey, sweetcorn and mayonnaise. Very nice it was too. Could've done with a bigger potato, but I'm aware that I'll be up most of the night and dipping into a selection of snacky stuff.

There's still enough of the topping to pop into a sandwich for tomorrow's luncheon.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, way too big. I'm wanting one of those plastic semi-rigid report covers / binders with a capacity for around 100 to 150 sheets of paper. A springback binder would do it, but they are pushing £20 for one the right size :wacko:

I actually have two springback binders which I got as freebies way back when, but they are already occupied with manuscripts that have far more pages in them than the photograph catalogue. Swapping those around to accommodate the catalogue document would make the problem worse... :sad:
Room for expansion at a later date, as and when required. Possibly without having to buy a second one.

Top Bottom