Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
MrsPete, a couple of friends, myself & 3 dogs were in a field near Mears Ashby..
The sound and view of 7 Spitfires, line astern, passing low overhead was a sight I've never experienced before & doubt I ever will again!! 😎😎😎

Guess the closest I've got to something like that is the Great Gathering when all six surviving A4 locomotives. Came together at NRYM to mark 75th anniversary Mallard reaching her record 126mph. I missed her being brought along side 75 years to the day of that run. But did go a few days later. A did often see Sir Nigel Gresley (who has a record of her own 112 mph as fastest postwar loco) in stream when on holiday. In pickering and been on train pulled by her on NYMR. Which is her home by agreement for Sir Nigel Gresley loco trust.
Sir Nigel Gresley is currently undergoing running test after a full £800,000 overhaul so not been fully in service since about 2016.

classic33

Leg End Member
You can tell by the height of the various piles what the proportions are like so can transpose that to get an idea of possible end result.
There was a case a few years ago when the tory candidate unwisely let slip information she should not have had.
I suppose the actual system depends on the returning officer and may vary a bit from place to place.
Procedure is the same everywhere. They all follow the same set of rules and regulations.
The only split made for postal votes, prior to the count, is by ward/constituency. Those in charge of the process have a complete list of who is standing where to enable a quick decision on where the ballot paper should be for the count.

Locally they're sorted by postcode first. Which for the main part will get the majority into the correct ward/constituency. Where the dividing line is a street* with houses on both sides may throw some into the wrong ward/constituency. Your voting number, two letters* and four numbers, will show where it should be. This number is on your polling card, and of a similar size on the paperwork with your postal vote. Removed and separated from the ballot paper once the validation process is complete.

Not every candidate attends the postal vote opening and validation process because there is even less to see than at the count.

If by some chance a candidate or agent can tell where a particular paper has come from, then they normally make it known. Especially if the vote isn't for them. Such papers, brought to the attention of count staff, are placed in a separate tray along with any spoilt ones and later shown to all candidates whose names are on the ballot paper and their election agents. This to decide which ones get rejected outright, and why. Also to allow any objections to be heard. An identifying mark on any paper is enough to get it rejected. The same mark on a number of papers can call into question all papers with the mark on them. Forcing an automatic recount.

*Many dividing lines in polling areas are the centreline of a street as they don't move much over time. And normally stand very little chance of being built on.

*two lettery corrected to two letters.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Procedure is the same everywhere. They all follow the same set of rules and regulations.
The only split made for postal votes, prior to the count, is by ward/constituency. Those in charge of the process have a complete list of who is standing where to enable a quick decision on where the ballot paper should be for the count.

Locally they're sorted by postcode first. Which for the main part will get the majority into the correct ward/constituency. Where the dividing line is a street* with houses on both sides may throw some into the wrong ward/constituency. Your voting number, two lettery and four numbers, will show where it should be. This number is on your polling card, and of a similar size on the paperwork with your postal vote. Removed and separated from the ballot paper once the validation process is complete.

Not every candidate attends the postal vote opening and validation process because there is even less to see than at the count.

If by some chance a candidate or agent can tell where a particular paper has come from, then they normally make it known. Especially if the vote isn't for them. Such papers, brought to the attention of count staff, are placed in a separate tray along with any spoilt ones and later shown to all candidates whose names are on the ballot paper and their election agents. This to decide which ones get rejected outright, and why. Also to allow any objections to be heard. An identifying mark on any paper is enough to get it rejected. The same mark on a number of papers can call into question all papers with the mark on them. Forcing an automatic recount.

*Many dividing lines in polling areas are the centreline of a street as they don't move much over time. And normally stand very little chance of being built on.

Ideal world but strange things happen. How did a candidate find out roughly the proportion of postal votes before the count? She let this slip in public and there was a bit of a fuss but nothing was done about it in the end.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ideal world but strange things happen. How did a candidate find out roughly the proportion of postal votes before the count? She let this slip in public and there was a bit of a fuss but nothing was done about it in the end.
Knowing the exact number of postal votes before any vote is cast is easy. Knowing who those votes are for is impossible.

Candidates, agents and parties all can apply for a copy of the full register. This copy varies slightly from the one you can examine/check as there's more detail on it. They are also supplied with a copy of postal voters, which is in the same format as the full register supplied to them. Sit down with a pencil and street map and you can soon see areas of high postal votes. And they'll have previous years records to compare it with.

All this is why postal votes are getting harder to get. Why you now have to apply more frequently than before.
Maybe nothing was done because no complaint was made by anyone else standing or if someone who knew before the count decided not to question it. It needs that complaint making, that question being asked in order for anything to be done. Otherwise it's just hearsay/rumours, and they can't investigate either of those.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
They certainly have a distinctive sound

Screenshot_20240622-210255~2.png

Best shot that a friend took on her phone.. ✈

I might head over to t'other sude of town tomorrow afternoon and watch the show. Maybe even ride up the bridleway that passes the end of the runway 😎

tyred

Legendary Member
I had a lazy day today. I had a mind to ride a bit of the Hadrian's Wall route today which was why I had booked 2 nights in Carlisle but didn't.

Hotel owner decided he wanted to move me to a different room after breakfast do I had to pack up again and sort out my luggage, ready for move. I then had a walk around the town, visited the Cathedral and spent ages there and got talking to people. I spent ages sitting outside then and just relaxing and watching the world go by so just lost the motivation for a ride and just wandered aimlessly around and sat and watched musical performances in the city centre. When I got back to my hotel, I wasn't moved after all and am still in the same room!

Since I have next week off too and the weather forecast is good, I will go to Arran for a few days. I have a train booked to Ardrossan tomorrow midday.

Football is happening again tonight 😔

FB_IMG_1719066518778.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
I had a lazy day today. I had a mind to ride a bit of the Hadrian's Wall route today which was why I had booked 2 nights in Carlisle but didn't.

Hotel owner decided he wanted to move me to a different room after breakfast do I had to pack up again and sort out my luggage, ready for move. I then had a walk around the town, visited the Cathedral and spent ages there and got talking to people. I spent ages sitting outside then and just relaxing and watching the world go by so just lost the motivation for a ride and just wandered aimlessly around and sat and watched musical performances in the city centre. When I got back to my hotel, I wasn't moved after all and am still in the same room!

Since I have next week off too and the weather forecast is good, I will go to Arran for a few days. I have a train booked to Ardrossan tomorrow midday.

Football is happening again tonight 😔

View attachment 735045
There's all this talk of where you're planning on going, where you've been and what you've done. All very interesting to read.

But you know what's annoying, what you're missing out?
Not once have you mentioned what shape plate you're food has been served up on. The really exciting stuff.

tyred

Legendary Member
There's all this talk of where you're planning on going, where you've been and what you've done. All very interesting to read.

But you know what's annoying, what you're missing out?
Not once have you mentioned what shape plate you're food has been served up on. The really exciting stuff.

They've all been round so far. These backward countries haven't progressed to square plates yet. :whistle:

Top Bottom