Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
According to a survey by Jetcost, when Britons travel abroad, about 50% avoid the indigenous food, about 65% actively seek out the likes of KFC / Pizza Hut / Burger King / Starbucks etc., etc.. with only about 10% actually eating the local fayre.
This appear to be in contradiction with the massive number of ethnic restaurants & takeaways; Greek, Chinese, Turkish, Polish, Indian, Japanese, Tapas Bars, Italian, Taiwanese, Caribbean, Kebab, etc., that abound in virtually every city, town and even some villages up & down Britain and by all accounts, very popular.
It has been alluded that such establishments 'adjust' their dishes to suit English tastes, but still claim to offer 'authentic dishes', which does beg the point why bother - ? :dry:
Observations - ?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
It's fish n chips night! Can't wait as not had one in ages, i'm thinking large haddock, large chips and curry sauce/mushy peas and pickled onions :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Our F&C night is Thu…

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Back home at last and foodstuff mostly unpacked and stashed.
Surprising number of Mull residents in the Oban supermarkets. Tuesday and Thursday used to be the traditional days for mainland visits but naturally the shops in Oban then decided to have a half day holiday on those days. The advent of supermarkets put paid to that nonsense.
First trip on MV Isle of Mull for a couple of years I think. Just back from refurbishment so very fancy.
Five cars with passengers wanting to use the lift. Trouble is the lazy notice us using this and all rush trying to squeeze in.

No non alcohol beer as they claim there is no demand and they have to bin lots of it. They never buy anything but the cheapest which is not terribly palatable so it is not surprising nobody wants it. Some of the non alcohol stuff tastes not too bad and on the ferry I would never take alcohol anyway due to the zero tolerance policy. All it takes is a no blame bump and you get breathalised and likely to lose your licence.
Got in a convoy of seven local cars heading north going fast and that is where you have to be on your toes as one car a Range Rover chickened out unable to cope. Oncoming traffic tends to give way to a convoy so it is easier than being on your own.

tyred

Legendary Member
Yesterday, I didn't gain much knowledge from the free legal team at work as I don't really know all the details of the agreement.

ThI sent an email to the solicitor who handled the sale in the first place explaining the problems and asking what she thinks. No doubt it will come back with a bill attached.

Also tempted to outline all my issues and grievances in a letter to Mr Builder (politely) and sending it registered post to see if he replies.

MikeG

Guru
.........Also tempted to outline all my issues and grievances in a letter to Mr Builder (politely) and sending it registered post to see if he replies.
This might make you feel better, but will get you precisely nowhere, I'm afraid.

As an aside, and as gently as I can....."concrete" and "cement" aren't synonyms or interchangeable. Your balcony is made of concrete. Cement is an ingredient in concrete (and mortar, render, screed, and so on).

MikeG

Guru
Time to feed the cat, and then it will be time to feed me.

Massive skewing of priorities in evidence.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Fabulous supper of Scottish black pudding*, mashed potatoes, spring greens tossed in the cooking juices from the gammon, and apple slices pan fried in butter with chilli & rosemary. :hungry:

Madam Lexi had Felix AGAIL with ham.

* much nicer than the Bury black pudding that I normally buy.

I'm not much of a meat eater and white and black puddings leave me cold but I'll make an exception for a peppery Scottish one.

Top Bottom