Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'd be carful, those chickens are up to summat.

Certainly unusual if chickens are laying eggs.
Hens lay eggs which in turn if fertilised and not eaten produce chickens which grow into hens to lay more eggs.
Chickens do not lay eggs.:rolleyes:

MikeG

Guru
Certainly unusual if chickens are laying eggs.
Hens lay eggs which in turn if fertilised and not eaten produce chickens which grow into hens to lay more eggs.
Chickens do not lay eggs.:rolleyes:

Hang on a cotton-pickin'.......

Chickens can be male or female. Male chickens are called cocks, roosters, or cockerels. Female chicken are called hens. We have chickens which are in the category "hen".....but they are still chickens. So, our chickens laid 3 eggs today. The lazy so-and-so's...... Do you know, one of them is so lazy that she won't jump on the perch herself. She waits to be picked up and placed there. If it turns out she's the one not bothering to lay eggs, then she's in a spot of bother.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Hang on a cotton-pickin'.......

Chickens can be male or female. Male chickens are called cocks, roosters, or cockerels. Female chicken are called hens. We have chickens which are in the category "hen".....but they are still chickens. So, our chickens laid 3 eggs today. The lazy so-and-so's...... Do you know, one of them is so lazy that she won't jump on the perch herself. She waits to be picked up and placed there. If it turns out she's the one not bothering to lay eggs, then she's in a spot of bother.

Females are in fact pullets and do not become hens till about a year old but can lay eggs but cannot remember from what age as it was a long time ago since I studied the subject. I majored in dairy cattle mainly and have a BSc( agric) to show for it.
Academic point scoring perhaps but I prefer to be accurate in nomenclature.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
An evening cuppa has been consumed

MikeG

Guru
....Academic point scoring perhaps but I prefer to be accurate in nomenclature.
Superb. I love a bit of pedantry.^_^
My daughter has a PhD in chickens. Well, the ethology of their wild ancestors........red jungle fowl. She set them behavioural tests, then dissected their brains and did all sorts of genetic testing. Turns out they're far more intelligent than anyone thought. She can do chicken nomenclature, so you two should talk.

In the meantime, our chickens only laid 3 bl**dy eggs today!

classic33

Leg End Member
Females are in fact pullets and do not become hens till about a year old but can lay eggs but cannot remember from what age as it was a long time ago since I studied the subject. I majored in dairy cattle mainly and have a BSc( agric) to show for it.
Academic point scoring perhaps but I prefer to be accurate in nomenclature.
When they start being able to lay eggs, they cease to be pullets and become hens.

Learnt that, and much more, from my grandparents.

Top Bottom