Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
While visiting our daughter in Berlin several years ago I noticed several people with large bags of empty bottles. A quite well dressed gentleman approached us as we were sitting in a park, I was holding the empty bottle of pop that we'd just shared, my daughter explained that he was asking if we would like him to take our bottle, and explained the refund system. I later got to try out one of the bottle recycling machines at her local supermarket, fascinating to watch it take in the bottles, analyse their makeup and drop them in the appropriate container, then issue a voucher. I recycled the voucher by spending it on beer, a virtuous circle🍺👍

I will try it out whenever I have finished the 2L bottle of Coke which I bought.

It will probably make more sense to store them up until there's a decent amount with a worthwhile amount of cash.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from Suffolk where it's brightening up quite nicely, but still very damp underfoot thanks to last night's rain. The first coffee of the day has just been finished and I'm about to nuke a bowl of porridge for breakfast.

In about an hour's time I will be loading a bike into the car and heading off to Cambridge for my monthly 'ride outside Suffolk' sub challenge in the 50k challenge ride for February. Given that Cambridge United had to abandon their football match last night due to a waterlogged pitch, I'll be using a bike with mudguards fitted just in case.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I will try it out whenever I have finished the 2L bottle of Coke which I bought.

It will probably make more sense to store them up until there's a decent amount with a worthwhile amount of cash.

If it is similar to the ones that I used, there's a sort of Archimedes Screw mechanism that draws the bottle into the machine, a flash of bright light as the plastic is analysed and then it disappears. If the material is unsuitable for recycling the mechanism reverses and presents the bottle back to you. I can't remember if there was a receptacle for rejected bottles by the machine. I found it fascinating and could well see myself on street patrol should the machines become commonplace in our supermarkets.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dry bright morning with so far not much wind but a touch of frost. The roads are reported to be very icy here and apparently snow from Connel inland on the mainland.
I think probably a walk today as the sun is still dazzling drivers on any road I can use. The alternative routes are shaded from the sun by either mountains or trees so more likely to be slippy and very cold. Not that slippy would bother the trike much but any traffic could be a problem and from experience getting to Loch na Keal would also be very icy as it is a low priority road for gritting.
MV Isle of Mull is heading home from dry dock and being followed on line by a lot of people as she is expected to be back in service here by Friday.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Second cuppa going down well with a slice of toast and red jam today

Tenkaykev

Guru
Chinese New Year holiday has started.

CNY is Saturday and I'm off to Thailand on Monday.

Now listening to the excellent new Green Day album. They're back to what they do best. :music:

Daughter in Law is Chinese and she's heading off with hubby and 5 year old daughter to visit elderly mum and dad who live in Harbin. A bit of a trek for them. The last time they visited as a family they arrived just in time for lockdown so spent a couple of months restricted to the parents apartment with limited visits to the shops and local park.

Top Bottom