Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
A thought occurred to me this afternoon whilst commuting to work in my late Mum's Vauxhall Agila as I wasn't well enough to ride in:

"Does the car you drive affect how people treat you on the road?"

Ignoring SWMBO's Honda Jazz as I rarely drive it I've access to three cars regularly, each with different benefits:
  • Peugeot Partner Tepee (Berlingo clone) - it's old, very battered and gives an "I don't care" image. I can't remember when it was last washed by son no. 2 but it won't be in the last year. Drivers appear to deliberately not take any chances being aggressive with it since it's already got a pile of dents, none of which we actually did.
  • Honda CR-V - the car I won in 2022. It's big, white and looks imposing. Drivers keep away and tend not to be aggressive.
  • Vauxhall Agila - my late Mum's 'shopping' car. It looks like it's driven by an old person slowly. Aggressive drivers keep trying to cut in / chop me up / pull out on me. Erm ... nope, that won't work!
Yes, I could put this in the 'Motoring' sub-forum, but don't want to start an argument. Oh, and I do try to drive defensively.

I think it does. As a Toyota Yaris driver, I find posh German cars feel the need to overtake me, often somewhere risky, just to sit in front of me doing the same speed as I was doing anyway.

Whoops! I didn't realise my absence would be so worriesome. :blush:

And yeah, I had no internet yesterday. Well I did, but it spent the whole day doing the hokey cokey, and as a result, it was just easier to not bother and just have a quiet day by the fire, listening to the radio and working on some writing.

Have also been pretty busy; went yellow stickering on Saturday night, got a fresh supply firewood under cover ahead of the coming weather and have been negotiating for the services of a new feline suPURRvisor. I still don't know if I've managed to convince the breeder to part with the cat that I absolutely fell in love with when I went last week. It being Sod's Law that it wasn't the cat I went to view, or a cat that was actually available...

Internet was still a bit shonky this morning, but it's been stable since about 3pm.

Scored salmon fillets, turkey steaks, a large Bakewell tart and two litres of Jersey milk on sticker. As well as a pack with two pairs of fluffy socks for £4 (they're blue though, not pink), and two pairs of Roubaix leggings for £2.50 each.

Some of the milk got used up to make tonight's baked rice pudding. :hungry:

A thought occurred to me this afternoon whilst commuting to work in my late Mum's Vauxhall Agila as I wasn't well enough to ride in:

"Does the car you drive affect how people treat you on the road?"

Ignoring SWMBO's Honda Jazz as I rarely drive it I've access to three cars regularly, each with different benefits:
  • Peugeot Partner Tepee (Berlingo clone) - it's old, very battered and gives an "I don't care" image. I can't remember when it was last washed by son no. 2 but it won't be in the last year. Drivers appear to deliberately not take any chances being aggressive with it since it's already got a pile of dents, none of which we actually did.
  • Honda CR-V - the car I won in 2022. It's big, white and looks imposing. Drivers keep away and tend not to be aggressive.
  • Vauxhall Agila - my late Mum's 'shopping' car. It looks like it's driven by an old person slowly. Aggressive drivers keep trying to cut in / chop me up / pull out on me. Erm ... nope, that won't work!
Yes, I could put this in the 'Motoring' sub-forum, but don't want to start an argument. Oh, and I do try to drive defensively.

I think so. I've definitely noticed drivers being much more respectful now that I've got the Rapid. Which they weren't so much when I had the Fabia estate. Lost track of the number of times I got brake tested on motorways and dual carriageways. And people seem to object when you do drive one quickly - especially if you've overtaken something a bit poncy.

Guess it works in the Rapid's favour that it looks far more purposeful than the Fabia - it's metallic black, has big alloys, privacy glass and a roof spoiler...

expecting a close encounter of the 3rd kind?

Well, 3-way temporary traffic lights at any rate. We got notification of this about a fortnight back or so.

Top Bottom