Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Library day again and thankfully no ice as the entrance is bottom of a slope.
Down town for a few chores and in the Blue Badge space outside the chemist there was an Alfa Romeo but forgot to get the model name. The roof level at the highest point was about level with my waist so a mystery to me how somebody who needs a Blue Badge could get in or out of such a machine and there was a BB on display.
Spent the afternoon emptying my last storage box to rearrange my bikes and one trike. Got a box for the charity shop but not yet sorted the stuff to chuck or keep.
The wind forecasts for the next few days are horrendous but just need to wait and see how the skipper feels on the day. Might need to shuttle between various ferry terminals with the accompanying paperwork chaos.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A day trip to see my Dad - took him for lunch again as it's a way of getting him out now my Mum's died - then we discharged 2/3 of the Executor duties.

Simply, three individuals receive a painting each from my Mum, which were all painted by my great-great-grandfather (he was a Royal Society artist). My mum had bought five of his and I'd bought one recently which has been added to the collection. They're not worth a huge amount, I think, but one of his has appeared on eBay this week so we'll get an idea of value later this month. Oh, and because my Dad doesn't do technology apparently I'm to bid on it! And no, you're not having a peeksies in case someone goes "ooh, I like that".

Two of them made their choice, after a very very very long discussion, but left them until a future date to collect. At least they signed for it and their decision to 'leave'. Personally, I'd have preferred if they'd bunged them into their car and taken the painting away, but ...

Just one individual left to choose, who was last on the list, so I'll send them details of what's left later this evening. My Dad gets everything else.

That little Metro reminded me of the Fiat Uno I bought in the late 80's, lovely car to drive. Head gasket and the odd valve went i couple of times which i did myself, so a cheap and cheerful motor.
In 1994 i had a job driving all over Dorset that summer. It was wonderful!
Screenshot_20240120_211036_Samsung Internet.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Grant Fondo - I crashed my Mum's Fiat Uno at the age of 17. Technically I crashed it twice; the first time I hit the front end into a tree whilst reversing four weeks after passing my driving test (yes, that takes some skill). The second I crashed it sideways into a barrier whilst doing 70 in a 40 three weeks later. However, the rear wheel was known to fall off when cornering at speed, which was my excuse. They never did find the rear wheel, possibly because it bounced over the side of Clifton Bridge in Nottingham when I crashed.

That didn't stop her taking me to the Fiat showroom the next week, picking another Fiat Uno out, and saying to the salesman "he's paying for it". Which I had to.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
That little Metro reminded me of the Fiat Uno I bought in the late 80's, lovely car to drive. Head gasket and the odd valve went i couple of times which i did myself, so a cheap and cheerful motor.
In 1994 i had a job driving all over Dorset that summer. It was wonderful!
View attachment 719396

Lovely car, if I didn't have a 205 to restore, I'd probably look for one.

So space efficient when compared to today's bloated tanks and tougher than their reputation suggests. Late model ones didn't rust the way earlier ones did. One of the few cars that my cousin couldn't destroy.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I can hear the wind moaning and the rain pattering against the window.

Top Bottom