Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A lens I ordered from the London Camera Exchange yesterday arrived a little while ago. I bought a second hand Tamron 70-300mm autofocus lens for my Nikon cameras as the one for my Pentax has been really good . I don't want to take my Pentax's out on my bike as they cost more than my very cheap Nikon's. I got my D50 for £1 at a car boot sale . It didn't have a battery so I bought a cheap D70 on the bay which had a problem but came with a battery and charger. They both work so I take them out cycling . Any way the lens has arrived and it looks brand new ! Complete with box and instructions. I think it might be missing the carrying pouch . The lens works but I can't really test it now as the light is going . I paid just under £60 including postage which I think is a very good price .

need to use my regular cameras more. use my darn phone way too often. then I have to deal w/ all the pics on the stupid phone. so much easier to deal with pics on a camera card, in an actual camera

uh oh, the lovely snow that we've had all day must be changing. I can hear specs of frozen precip. hitting my office window

we rarely get sent home early for snow storms. when they do send us home, it's usually because the roads are now dangerous ... I guess we're gonna wait a little longer :huh:

rds 1245.jpg

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Snow, hail and sleet off and on all day but currently most has melted. The wet surface will freeze overnight and I have an appointment at 0930. The road should be ok but anywhere else may well be dangerous for me.
My own path has been salted but I will have to be down early enough to get the car defrosted before I can get moving.

This morning I went down to the Calmac office to check on alternative sailings next week and try to get an earlier one which gives me time to take an alternative route.
Office shut for a day off!
The girl in there seems to do this often on a Tuesday for some reason. Strange as it would seem more sensible to take Monday for a long weekend.

Mike_P

Guru
Snow line trying to move in.To the north west no one will be cycling the Way of the Roses
1705429380259.png

On the subject of buses back in 2016 when I broke my collar bone, thanks to an overhanging tree branch rather than hitting the deck, the day pass on the mobile app was valid for 24 hours rather than just on the day of activation. Was quite useful as I had a Friday afternoon appointment at the hospital so after that would walk to Sainsburys and thereafter activate the ticket which was then valid until almost 4.30 on Saturday. Improved apps are not always better.

It's been a brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright and chhhhhhhhilly day here chez Casa Reynard.

Slept so-so. Lady issues meant arising for visits to the little girls' room, so an interrupted night and feet that would just not warm up. Spent much of the day lumberjilling in light of next week's forecast. Except for that large stump, I finished clearing up what I felled last week, then dealt with another dead oak and felled a dead cherry. The latter didn't drop cleanly - looked like it was going to, and then just caught its neighbour on the way down. It's ok as it is for now as it's out of the way, and hopefully a good gale will shake it loose.

Had to pick and choose what I cut today, as I'm running low on fuel for the chainsaw and will need to saw a batch of logs again soon. I have a fresh gallon can waiting, but no 2-stroke oil on hand. I will wait till I'm going in that direction tail end of this week to pop into Doe's for a fresh bottle. In the mean time, I'll have to ration what fuel I have.

It is almost time to feed the cat, and then it will be time to feed me.

Mike_P

Guru
Co-Op are abandoning their rewards from Jan 24, no more 2p in the £1 back on their products. Instead they claim they will increase the amount of items at Member Prices.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Co-Op are abandoning their rewards from Jan 24, no more 2p in the £1 back on their products. Instead they claim they will increase the amount of items at Member Prices.

The Co-op has been going downhill for years, at one time they owned factories and farms for instance in Enderby (where I'm from) there was a boot and shoe factory that employed hundreds, there was also a department store that sold pretty much everything from carpets to washing machines, stereos, televisions, menswear/ladies wear, haberdashery wool (and patterns) with also a separate set of shops including a bakery, greengrocers and a butchers even a bank. all gone now.
Mind you it is possible to stand outside one Co-op (part of the old department store) and look across the road and up the hill a bit to see another Co-op that was formerly a Summerfields but they won't shut that for fear of Lidl/Aldi moving in as competition.:cursing:

Mike_P

Guru
Co-Op have sold their petrol stations to Asda so Knaresborough instead of having two Co-Op stores at petrol stations (one of which was a Summerfields) now has two Asda Locals. The Co-Op previously sold their large store in one of the towns suburbs to Lidl (demolished and a new Lidl built) . The large Co-Op store in Harrogate town centre became a Beales until it closed and the site redeveloped for a cinema and bars, the latter seem to shut down and then reopen every few months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom