Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today's 67 plate truck has 1,011,021 kilometres on the odometer. It does rattle a bit 😂

Is it an old Commer? They rattled a bit !

Yesterday I said that I was trying to prove that the cranks on my Orbit were chrome plated. I tried removing some but it was being as stubborn as a mule and I was only getting tiny flakes. I did however manage to find a piece which I removed not long after getting the bike. It peeled off like the old chrome used to on old steel wheels backing the 50's. In those days you could peel off the chrome when it really got bad . It would be as sharp as a razor though! Well getting back to my test piece I placed it in a container in some acid hoping to dissolve it to reveal the copper. I was beginning to doubt myself as nothing had shown up. I looked just now and copper is starting to show up!

I have been reading a paperback book by Geoffrey Wellum an ex RAF fighter pilot from WW2 who died last year I think in his 90's. I am nearly at the last chapter . It has been a good read. The book is called First Light. It seems different to other similar books I have read in the past, a bit more about his personal feelings I think. He didn't say how many planes he shot down but said about how he almost became a victim and nearly crashed several times. It was interesting reading how he was posted to a front line fighter squadron during the Battle of Britain fresh from training where battle hardened pilots were. Some of whom I recognised from reading their books , R. S. Tuck, J. Kent. Johnny Kent was interesting. A lot of pilots thought he was mad! He started off being a test pilot testing barrage balloon cable cutting devices and deliberately flew into barrage balloons!
I'll have to find my other old books and compare them .

pawl

Legendary Member
Other than collect the flowers for mum's birthday (which is on Chr***mas Day) and to pick up some milk from the CopOp next to the florists, that's me done until the return to work on Wednesday. Nothing to do except slob around, eat & drink to my heart's content, listen to the radio and catch up on some films.

Late afternoon naps such as today's will be an bonus extra.
Birthday’s on Christmas Day Frankincense and myrrh would bet the present of choice .Boots may sell it.😇😇

Last edited:
Top Bottom