Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
4.35 bus was apparently the first for an hour on what is meant to be every 20 minutes
Oddly fullish without being rammed.
This evening took the car to Sainsbury's and Waitrose and got everything I wanted. Going to Sainsbury's it was squeaking again so for evidence for the garage I set the mobile on record on the return from Morrisons and the car did not squeak :wacko:

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
There is always Wellingtons.
Provided the bit of string betwixt them is long enough - ! :rofl:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Other than collect the flowers for mum's birthday (which is on Chr***mas Day) and to pick up some milk from the CopOp next to the florists, that's me done until the return to work on Wednesday. Nothing to do except slob around, eat & drink to my heart's content, listen to the radio and catch up on some films.

Late afternoon naps such as today's will be an bonus extra.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm pleased I went to that. I really enjoyed it and bumped into quite a few people I knew.

It was more than just a normal carol service, it was a carol trail around all the churches so I've been in the Presbyterian church, the Gospel hall, the Methodist church, the RC Cathedral, the Church of Ireland and finally the COI church hall for hot mince pies:hungry:

Is just me that goes into churches and sits studying the construction of the roof? The cathedral has impressive gothic arches and vaulted ceilings but I was intrigued by the rather intricate cast iron roof trusses in the COI. It must have cost them a lot to do that as there were no iron foundry around here that i know about. The nearest maybe 20 miles away but it would have been built pre -railway I think. I think watching Fred Dibnah over the years has rubbed off on me.

I'm pleased I went to that. I really enjoyed it and bumped into quite a few people I knew.

It was more than just a normal carol service, it was a carol trail around all the churches so I've been in the Presbyterian church, the Gospel hall, the Methodist church, the RC Cathedral, the Church of Ireland and finally the COI church hall for hot mince pies:hungry:

Is just me that goes into churches and sits studying the construction of the roof? The cathedral has impressive gothic arches and vaulted ceilings but I was intrigued by the rather intricate cast iron roof trusses in the COI. It must have cost them a lot to do that as there were no iron foundry around here that i know about. The nearest maybe 20 miles away but it would have been built pre -railway I think. I think watching Fred Dibnah over the years has rubbed off on me.

You'd love the ceiling and lantern here in Ely Cathedral, then. Every time I walk in there, it just blows my mind at the skill needed to put that lot together.

classic33

Leg End Member

Have a look at Killaloe Cathedral, top of the town. Better seen first hand, than on a website.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

St Matthews Sanctuary horiz.JPG

Ours is pretty much all roof. Clear, knot free Douglas Fir, with laminated wood buttresses, Joliet Limestone undressed random stone walls, antique pews of walnut from previous church. Book holders a bit of a stretch what with larger bibles and Book of Common Prayer, and the Hymnal of 1979 is larger than the 1940 version.

Top Bottom