Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Morning.
Had another disrupted night. The sniveling has eased but the cough has got worse. Feeling drunk. I don't think I will be going to the Christmas dinner. I don't think it would fair on them to have me barking all the time.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not looked outside yet but the outdoor thermometer says 8C and the forecast is for rain all day.
Main non frozen shopping today so the circuit is Aldi, Tesco, Homebase, M & S, and then back to Lidl. Lidl is always last as it means a left turn out on to the main road. A right turn is a problem with constant traffic in both directions. Forgot that Health Food shop is sometimes last for pinhead oatmeal from bulk and not sprinkled with gold dust for price. I usually get 5Kg as that fits nicely into the bags they use.
LOTI is back from refit and immediately there is a problem with a generator but they seem to have got it fixed by this morning so ferry services running more or less to normal for the time being.
Still not got he timing of my booked return sorted but that can wait till the actual day of return as I hope to have time to spare with only frozen food to collect.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from a grey & damp Suffolk. Woke up at about half past seven and got up to make a mug of coffee as there was no prospect of getting back to sleep and then phoned in sick for work (hopefully for the last time). The heavy rain started just as the kettle boiled and lasted for about another hour and a half.

So far today other than listen to the radio and keep warm under the duvet, I've done absolutely nothing except drink the coffee and mixed some porridge & milk ready to be microwaved shortly.

tom73

Guru
Bit later this morning on the dog walk had to take Mrs 73 to the station for her early train for her mandatory training day.
Once done call into town , called in to the market for quick look round. Only to find the stall I use for pork pies and gammon has closed. :sad:
Now need to work out a replacement for Christmas not sure who to try. The best placers have all closed over the last few years.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
& he's off!

mixed feelings about the Son moving back in w/ us (temporarily)

Will he help with meals, laundry (or at least do his own) or anything else? Can he help you in the garden?

I can understand why you have mixed feelings. The lady next door to me has often had her daughter, and/or her grandsons temporarily living with her.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
@oldwheels - it appears from your postings that people's lives are ruled by the ferry service.

Do lots have their own boat and a car on the mainland?

I'm currently sat at the hospice waiting for my mum to wake up. They're debating whether to keep her here or send her home with a full care package.

It would seem a good idea to keep a car on the mainland but not really practical as there are problems already with offshore workers leaving cars and there is really nowhere to leave them safely.
A boat is also not practical unless big and seaworthy as the Firth of Lorne can get pretty wild.
Had a few hairy trips in my own 26ft boat and on one occasion the cooker came off it’s gimbals and flew across the cabin. Nobody could go and retrieve it until we got into the Sound of Mull.
So the answer to your question is no.
The main ferries are sometimes off, not so much for the crossing but difficult to berth in high winds.
Had a few wild ferry trips also as they used to divert round the top of Lismore to take the swell either bow or stern on.
One wild night when they did this a party developed in the bar of the old MV Glen Sannox and few were sober by the time we reached Mull sometime around midnight. Happy days. :laugh:

Top Bottom