Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A question for @Reynard perhaps. I am going to try knitting these. I will be using brightly coloured bits of wool rather than all green as shown in the picture.

https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=10631&cid=17

It says at the end to use sugary water to "starch" them. I don't think that is a good idea, is there another way of starching small woollen items?

I saw young puppy Teddy yesterday. He was wearing a very smart red "coat". He seems to prefer walking round in circles rather than in a straight line. :scratch:

Starch out of a spray can?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Does raising one eyebrow quizzically help with your singing @biggs682 ?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@biggs682 If you're near the Windhover on the BVW, they're getting on with the new roundabout etc.
Access is a bit confusing so far but at least cycling seems (hopefully) to have been considered!

DSC_3972.JPG

DSC_3974.JPG

A question for @Reynard perhaps. I am going to try knitting these. I will be using brightly coloured bits of wool rather than all green as shown in the picture.

https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=10631&cid=17

It says at the end to use sugary water to "starch" them. I don't think that is a good idea, is there another way of starching small woollen items?
Those trees, and similar patterns, don't need stiffening as long as you don't knit them loosely. They are fine just as they are. If you ever want to knit or crochet lacy snowflakes, you will need to stiffen them and that can be done easiest (with starch, or a water-and-PVA glue mixture) if you've knit/crocheted them out of a cotton yarn rather than wool or a synthetic.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Those trees, and similar patterns, don't need stiffening as long as you don't knit them loosely. They are fine just as they are. If you ever want to knit or crochet lacy snowflakes, you will need to stiffen them and that can be done easiest (with starch, or a water-and-PVA glue mixture) if you've knit/crocheted them out of a cotton yarn rather than wool or a synthetic.

Thank you, I will knit them tightly as you suggest. I might make them a bit longer than the pattern suggests. I have a lot of vintage (shiny/glittery) buttons to attach to them.

Last edited:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Does raising one eyebrow quizzically help with your singing @biggs682 ?

yes it does and it helps dispel the gas....

Wrong couple left tonight imho

@biggs682 If you're near the Windhover on the BVW, they're getting on with the new roundabout etc.
Access is a bit confusing so far but at least cycling seems (hopefully) to have been considered!

View attachment 715820

View attachment 715821

Not been that way for a couple of months , am i right in thinking that straight on in first pictures goes along towards the road between the Cock Hotel and Gladstone road ind est ???

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not been that way for a couple of months , am i right in thinking that straight on in first pictures goes along towards the road between the Cock Hotel and Gladstone road ind est ???

Yes, Southbound and under the railway & up the muddy, lumpy, bit to Kings Heath.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another phone call from mum to check how I was this afternoon - I'd take her more seriously if she'd stop bursting into laughter every time I tried to reply due to the state of (or lack of) my voice at the moment. We did wonder if what started as a heavy cold has become a chest infection and that would fit with the 'liquid' cough and tiredness.

Monday is supposed to be a fairly decent day, so I'd really like to try and get out for a few hours in an attempt to get back to normal (whatever that may be)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another thing that needs sorting out over the next few days is the TV & broadband package which expired last Friday. Although I can get everything cheaper by a few quid if I shop around and get various bits from different places, the whole lot is available in one go from BT. I can see the various bits on there, but whenever I try to add them to the basket, something doubles the price and the sister EE site offering the same products just isn't working.

tyred

Legendary Member
I had arranged to visit a friend this evening but went early to fit in a coastal perambulation. Beautiful day mostly but it started raining and I got a bit damp. Home now but too wide awake for bed.

68.9 MPG on my dashboard readout on the way down. I'm going to crack 70 one of these days. Dropped to 62.6 on the way home but I was in more of a hurry coming home and had empty roads.:whistle:

Top Bottom