Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Managed a dry 20 miles this afternoon, first time I’ve been able to for several days. Fingers crossed tomorrow morning is looking dry too.
Apropos the new series of Shetland, not impressed. They seem to have superimposed an ultra violent gangster flick on the gentler characters and places that we love from before. And much as I enjoyed Phyllis Logan’s gangster matriarch character in Guilt, its a bit of a bore to find her reprising the same here. Such a shame.

classic33

Leg End Member
Frozen In Time.
1699030108727.png

Mike_P

Guru
I don't buy ready meals :laugh:

I do have cat show friends who work in the food industry, and a lot of stuff is made on the same line. The only difference might be a tweak to the specification e.g. the thickness of a chocolate coating or how long a biscuit is baked for or the size of the potato that frozen chips are cut from or how much sugar and salt goes into something. Largely it's all much of a muchness except at the very cheap and very expensive ends of the spectrum.

The only shepherds pies which are gluten free (not deliberately otherwise they would be £s more) are currently those sold by Aldi and M&S. Wonder which one has the lesser spec, possibly not that you would expect.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I went out on my bike again to photograph a Mazda MX-5 which had crashed into a ditch . It had gone ! I think it had taken a turning too fast and gone onto a grass verge on the opposite side of the road , overcorrected and gone off into the verge and ditch on the other side of the road.

Must have been really cooking it. It had a very controlled slide when it lost traction, but steering lock to lock was 2.5 turns and thus easy to over do it if you panicked if car had lost grip.

Had a lovely luncheon of two slices of wholemeal* toast, one with pate, the other with goat's cheese and chutney, plus an apple, half a very nice ripe avocado and two :cuppa:

Spent the afternoon in the garden taking advantage of the fact that it's stayed dry and sunny all day. All the tomato plants are now cleared up and stuffed in the green bin, I've moved a stack of wood from the fence to the saw horse that lives under the porch outside the utility room. It's now out of the weather and off the ground, and I shall saw that up on Sunday. I've also carried on clearing up some storm damage, stripping back the small stuff that's destined for the green bin. I now have some tidied lengths of ash branches ready to be turned into logs and stacked on the fence.

Am now sitting back with a :cuppa: and a two finger kit kat.

*back to my usual wholemeal bread after eating two loaves of Warburton's half & half that I picked up cheaply on yellow sticker. Thank goodness, because the Warburton's is tasteless and woolly and no way worth £1.35 a loaf...

@Reynard - I do buy quite a few currently as a) I do all the cooking but am getting home late every night currently due to an unpleasant teaching timetable and b) SWMBO can't cook. She may be a Dietitian but any 'cooking' is either burnt or under-cooked. Ready meals are a safer option.

:hugs:

The only shepherds pies which are gluten free (not deliberately otherwise they would be £s more) are currently those sold by Aldi and M&S. Wonder which one has the lesser spec, possibly not that you would expect.

All Tesco's "Finest" sausages are now gluten free by default. I'm not complaining, because they're now a much higher meat content than they used to be, because you need far less rice / corn / potato starch to bind the meat than you do rusk.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Gone dark again. Reckon there’s a pattern to it. Going to investigate and see if I can come up with a first law of darkness…

There's too much dark around for my liking.
I did once depart for NZ on about 20th December or so. Going straight from shortest day to longest day messed my head up a bit. Or it could be spending 24 hours on a plane...

Mike_P

Guru
All Tesco's "Finest" sausages are now gluten free by default. I'm not complaining, because they're now a much higher meat content than they used to be, because you need far less rice / corn / potato starch to bind the meat than you do rusk.

Tesco is an unknown store locally beyond the limited stock in a Tesco Express. They had permission for a superstore but never built it. The site was then going to a non food retail park but covid killed that. Tesco have again now sought permission. The Harrogate postcode is unique in the country for not having a Tesco superstore.

Top Bottom