Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I've just realised that the clock in my car will be on the right time from tomorrow for the next six months!

I hate changing the time on the car clock. Years ago when my car had a mechanical clock it never seemed to show the correct time no matter how often you corrected it. Now we have digital clocks in cars, they still only show the correct time for a short while.

mybike

How do electrical cables so get tangled? Spent ages this afternoon sorting out the TV/PVRs wiring in preparation for the arrival of the new TVs. Have a couple of zipped cable tubes coming which should assist in keeping it neat. I blame the spiders.

If you really want to know, it's because the strands of wire within the individual conductors are twisted & the conductors in a cable are twisted.

Mike_P

Guru
Right.... That's DEFINITELY the last cut of the grass done.. (Unless it keeps on growing!!)

Lucky. Mines not been dry enough to cut for weeks.

mybike

Good morning.

I appear to have a fruit fly infestation.

I've cleaned every surface and packed all the food away, emptied the bins and put up sticky traps, but they are still buzzing about. Does anyone have a way of getting rid of them?

Carnivorous plants? I think pitcher plants or sundew would probably be the best. I bury the pots in a larger container filled with sphagnum moss & water with rainwater, tap water will kill them.

Alternatively, fly paper, as you're using, is pretty good, but they do breed quickly.

mybike

However, have one time signal clock that ever since the Brexit vote has not readily corrected itself. Wil see if it's changed by early afternoon.

They moved the standard time transmission (MSF) to the wilds of Cumbria (I think) from Rugby & it's never been a good signal since. They blame local interference, but it's really that the signal is weaker for most people.

Carnivorous plants? I think pitcher plants or sundew would probably be the best. I bury the pots in a larger container filled with sphagnum moss & water with rainwater, tap water will kill them.

Alternatively, fly paper, as you're using, is pretty good, but they do breed quickly.

I've been told a cup of apple vinegar and washing up liquid is effective; they are attracted by the vinegar and when they land on the water there's no surface tension.

Top Bottom