Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Another dreich day.

It keeps the skin looking young, get out and apply Nature’s moisturiser

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We've got a few samples of different products , all varying prices. Some are laminate with something like a covering of wallpaper which has a 20 year guarantee. Some real wood has 1 mm layer whilst some have 6mm. Also the backing material varies from MDF to ply. In our last house I laid real oak flooring but I expect that is way too expensive now .

I was referring to the stuff with a thick top layer of hardwood then a cross layer of generally Birch with a 3rd layer running in the same direction as the top, this is to give stability, I wouldn't touch anything with MDF in it.

1 tip I will give is to remove the skirting boards, this avoids having to fit that ugly quadrant moulding which always make laminate floors look so crappy. Another thing is to make sure the floorboards are down tight and there are no big 'steps' in what will become a subfloor

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Second cuppa went down well

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was referring to the stuff with a thick top layer of hardwood then a cross layer of generally Birch with a 3rd layer running in the same direction as the top, this is to give stability, I wouldn't touch anything with MDF in it.

1 tip I will give is to remove the skirting boards, this avoids having to fit that ugly quadrant moulding which always make laminate floors look so crappy. Another thing is to make sure the floorboards are down tight and there are no big 'steps' in what will become a subfloor

That's useful information, thank you.

classic33

Leg End Member
hope it was as good as the brew + chocolate hob nob i had earlier. I say 'hob nob', has anyone actually ever eaten just one?*

*i had three
If you only have 1/2 of one have you eaten a hob or a nob 🙂
Or if you have two , break them in half and eat three halves, would that be "hob-hob and nob" or "nob-nob and hob" ?
Never mind which half you eat, have you been eating them the right way?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tive-Hobnobs-shock-Weve-eating-wrong-way.html

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not yet raining and the gales have not arrived yet either. High wind forecast from midday.
Calmac cancelled yesterday evening sailings due to weather but it was not too bad here. The problem is not the crossing but berthing can be difficult or indeed dangerous in high winds.
In the past before side thrusters became more powerful they used to drop an anchor when coming in which helped to control the sideways drift and was also needed to pull the ship off the pier. Not seen that done for some years.
Today is medication sorting and reordering day and then need to get up to the container for the charity shop with the cast iron pans.
The shop is run for community benefit but some people are an infernal nuisance to them. There is a clear notice which says
"No Furniture" but some still dump their old furniture there instead of the council tip which is only a few yards away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom