Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Lots of people on here know things about cars.

I have a car that has a SORN (statutory off road notice) that I will be giving to a local engineering college. They particularly wanted older cars without complex electronics. I have got the V5 (aka Log Book) but cannot find a document that stating that it is SORN.

The person from the college will fill in the V5, do they need a piece of paper saying it is SORN, or do they take ownership and then SORN it in their name? Does anyone know or where to find out on the relevant website please?
Just to add to what @tom73 has said, make certain that you inform them it cannot be driven away from your property.
https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/selling/selling-a-sorn-car

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
That just states that the vehicle is not taxed.

I thought it said if a car is SORN, too. Apologies if I'm incorrect x

Speicher

Vice Admiral

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Will you get back pension?
As a civil servant I was on a final salary scheme known as Classic (no - not the one on here), but about 10 years ago we were switched to something called Alpha which is some form of career average scheme. When I part retired last year I took the Classic part including lump sum, but carried on contributing to the Alpha scheme and will be taking this as well in March. I have taken a bit of a hit on both as they are reduced due to taking them early.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
You retirement was approved nine years ago!
Does time travel in another direction in your neck o'woods?
Close enough as some of the working practices date back to well before then!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It should do.
It gives the current tax status of the vehicle, taxed/untaxed/SORN. Also how long out of date or left.

Regcarcheck says this:
The first way you can check is by going onto the government portal. When on the site, go to ‘vehicle tax, SORN and vehicles exempt from vehicle tax’. Afterwards, select ‘check a vehicle’s SORN status’. You will need the car’s registration number as well as the make.

Once you have input this information, the site will tell you whether the car is taxed, has to SORN or is exempt from vehicle tax. If the car has SORN, it will say ‘This vehicle is on a SORN’. https://regcarcheck.co.uk/how-to-check-if-vehicle-has-sorn/

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Regcarcheck says this:
The first way you can check is by going onto the government portal. When on the site, go to ‘vehicle tax, SORN and vehicles exempt from vehicle tax’. Afterwards, select ‘check a vehicle’s SORN status’. You will need the car’s registration number as well as the make.

Once you have input this information, the site will tell you whether the car is taxed, has to SORN or is exempt from vehicle tax. If the car has SORN, it will say ‘This vehicle is on a SORN’. https://regcarcheck.co.uk/how-to-check-if-vehicle-has-sorn/

Following that link, I found the vehicle's MOT history and in particular the advisories from the last two.

The college will be using it for teaching basic mechanics/engineering to students. The donated vehicles do not get back on the road.

Top Bottom