Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
COVID booster done and I hope I'm OK for track racing at Derby velodrome tonight.

After last year's hospitalisation with it the doctor appears to be taking a cautious approach.

If it's anything like previous ones I'll be laid up for a few days, just before teaching starts and when SWMBO is away this weekend.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was advised to wait until battery technology improves and/or the batteries reduce in price.

Electricity consumption has appoximately halved, and in the summer about 20 units a week were exported.

Yes, the battery that I've pencilled uses LiFePo cells so although not as energy dense as Lithium Ion but is inherently less volatile. There's also the advantage that they have a better charge / discharge profile and a far greater number of recharge cycles before the capacity drops to 80%.
I know of at least one person who has a battery and no PV panels, he just charges from the overnight cheap rates and uses the batttery at peak times. Any excess is sold back to the grid for more per unit than it cost him.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I saw a piece in the paper today about a cruise ship carrying 4000 passengers anchoring outside a town of 6000. It's totally destructive.

Oban? Im sure it was there that I saw loads & loads of people being shipped ashore in lifeboats!
Or was it Kirkwall... I forget now 🤔

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
COVID booster done and I hope I'm OK for track racing at Derby velodrome tonight.

After last year's hospitalisation with it the doctor appears to be taking a cautious approach.

If it's anything like previous ones I'll be laid up for a few days, just before teaching starts and when SWMBO is away this weekend.

One of my running mates was a bit 'rough' after his Vac at weekend - serious veteran fell runner, and could notice. I've no health conditions so not had one for 18 months now !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oban? Im sure it was there that I saw loads & loads of people being shipped ashore in lifeboats!
Or was it Kirkwall... I forget now 🤔

Population of Oban is about 10,000 I think and Kirkwall is somewhere around 7 or 8,000. Could be either and lots do anchor just outside the bay at Oban and ferry passenger ashore by lifeboat.
Our resident town population is around 1000 but no idea how many get shipped ashore. I do know the street can become almost impassible to vehicles. A lot used to be bussed off to places like Duart Castle and even to Iona where the ship picked them up later the same day. That would depend on weather as the Sound of Iona is relatively shallow and a big swell can come in from either end making small boat operations a bit dodgy particularly for the aged and infirm.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not a very productive day so far.
Phoned the washing machine delivery firm who are regarded as reliable.
" Got mucked about with the ferry yesterday so it will now be tomorrow for delivery".
Drove down to the chemist and fought my way to a parking place through the swarms of zimmer frames meandering along the carriageway and pavement.
" Not got your stuff as we are having terrible supply problems just now. Mebbe tomorrow or next day."

Motorhomes seem to regard the double blue badge spaces as specially provided for them.
" Oh yes we do have a blue badge but we left it at home"
Aye right.

Top Bottom