Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A friend and her husband have just moved to Shetland, and they've yet to start grumbling about this. I suspect they will, in time, get as irked as you regarding the tourists.

Friend's husband is the new vicar on Yell.

Yell is not Mainland so probably not the same problem. Must tell my brother as his wife came from near your area.
One problem is ferry bookings to mainland Scotland. Difficult to get vehicle bookings and almost impossible to get both vehicle and cabin for overnight on the same day.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The cruise ship cyclist menace

More like “cruise ship menace” grows

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Dry food is probably a better option as you won't have an issue with fly strike. If you get one of those gravity-fed dispensers, then the cat will have access to food 24/7. Likewise, a water dispenser or a large heavy bowl for water - the small ones tend to get tipped over. Something inexpensive like this ought to do:

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/cat_fountains/other/14454

Dry cat food is higher in calories than wet food, but you could also feed wet kitten food, which is higher in calories than adult wet food.

The Vet confirmed the age of the cat as approx eight years, and female. She is healthy apart from being underweight. While at the Vet she had a three-month treatment for fleas and worms.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Mrs P has bought me a big sort of fluffy blanket throw thing its called a bear snuggle or something,she thinks i might feel the cold over the next few months with the chemo,so now i have a throw and a fluffy bedjacket.Going to be toasty.

Doesn’t look like this does it?

brown-bear-mascot-costume.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
On the Isle of Lewis visitor numbers are overwhelming the Callanish Stones site and charging is being considered as one way of controlling numbers.
When we first went there many years ago there was no barrier of any kind and certainly no visitor centre. There is a photo somewhere of my wife climbing on one of the stones which would cause massive reaction nowadays.

When I was young we visited the Major Oak in Sherwood Forest quite a few times. I remember climbing in it and there's photos of me doing so. These days it's blocked off with a visitor centre. Back in the 1970's you could just walk to it.

It was the same with the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge in Northern Ireland. In the late 80's you could just go whereas now it's visitor centres and charging.

Things have changed all over.

Mike_P

Guru
Re hot desking since the initial restricted return to work post covid with a empty desk between everyone, I have to book a desk to go into the office even now all desks are in use; the useless system does not provide any indication on who has booked adjacent desks.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Recommend getting a solar car battery charger - mine sits on the dashboard when the cars not in use ( often for a week or more) and plugs conviently into a easilly accessible diagnostic port. Resulted in the original battery lasting way beyond expected life although plainly the battery was weak for years as the automatic stop start ceased activating until I had a new battery fitted.
https://products.carmagazine.co.uk/car-maintenance/car-care/best-solar-battery-chargers/
Note not all come with a plug for the diagnostic port and some only have battery clips with them.
I have the AA 4.8v one available from Amazon as I regularly go for a week without using my car and it's not unknown for it to sit unused for a couple of weeks or more.
Amazon product ASIN B084M5ZL5LView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Essentials-AA1432-Battery-Charger/dp/B084M5ZL5L?tag=cararticle98-21&th=1

Jenkins

Legendary Member
We didn't get much in the way of rain or showers this afternoon as they all seemed to go either to the east or west of here, but the wind didn't half pick up at various times.

I've put uniform in my back pack ready for the return to work on Tuesday, the house keys are on the fridge door handle so I can't forget to take the food in to work and the mudguards have been put back onto the main commuter bike as the weather forecast for the rest of the week looks a bit messy & windy.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
When I was young we visited the Major Oak in Sherwood Forest quite a few times. I remember climbing in it and there's photos of me doing so. These days it's blocked off with a visitor centre. Back in the 1970's you could just walk to it.

It was the same with the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge in Northern Ireland. In the late 80's you could just go whereas now it's visitor centres and charging.

Things have changed all over.

The same's true for Stonehenge. You used to be able to walk up to it like it was part of the world we shared.

Top Bottom