Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely luncheon of two slices of wholemeal toast, one with pate, one with sliced avocado, plus an apple, an orange and two :cuppa:

Rest of afternoon not gone as planned. Car wouldn't start because the battery is flat. Jump starting from the mower didn't work - for some reason instead of direct terminal to direct terminal on the neutral cable, I'm supposed to clip one end to the engine block. How odd... At least taking the battery out of the car was far less complicated.

Anyways, battery now on the charger.

It's a right PITA as I've only had the car just over a month, and only used it a handful of times prior to getting Covid.

Aaaaargh!!!

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Another working day completed for me.
Been a complicated day for me due to lack of full resources

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lovely luncheon of two slices of wholemeal toast, one with pate, one with sliced avocado, plus an apple, an orange and two :cuppa:

Rest of afternoon not gone as planned. Car wouldn't start because the battery is flat. Jump starting from the mower didn't work - for some reason instead of direct terminal to direct terminal on the neutral cable, I'm supposed to clip one end to the engine block. How odd... At least taking the battery out of the car was far less complicated.

Anyways, battery now on the charger.

It's a right PITA as I've only had the car just over a month, and only used it a handful of times prior to getting Covid.

Aaaaargh!!!

Maybe your car needs a decent run to charge the battery properly. If it's been sat on a forecourt for a while, that wouldn't help..

Maybe your car needs a decent run to charge the battery properly. If it's been sat on a forecourt for a while, that wouldn't help..

That's exactly it. And I've only done about 40 miles since I bought it, all short local journeys. Looking at the indicator lights on the charger, the battery is as flat as a flat thing.

If I'm well enough, I should be driving to Corby next Tuesday to meet up with my historian / bookseller friend as he's travelling up from Gloucester to pick up some stuff he's bought for his shop. So that'd be a 130 mile round trip, which would be just the ticket.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This morning I went into my newly re-furbished and re-located office. Most things were in, but not all complete yet.

We've gone from our own offices to large shared ones but with our own desk and storage in 2009 to a new set-up where we're hot-desking with a small locker for storage. However, I'm convinced the hot-desks will become personalised ...

Mike_P

Guru
That's exactly it. And I've only done about 40 miles since I bought it, all short local journeys. Looking at the indicator lights on the charger, the battery is as flat as a flat thing.
Recommend getting a solar car battery charger - mine sits on the dashboard when the cars not in use ( often for a week or more) and plugs conviently into a easilly accessible diagnostic port. Resulted in the original battery lasting way beyond expected life although plainly the battery was weak for years as the automatic stop start ceased activating until I had a new battery fitted.
https://products.carmagazine.co.uk/car-maintenance/car-care/best-solar-battery-chargers/
Note not all come with a plug for the diagnostic port and some only have battery clips with them.

Recommend getting a solar car battery charger - mine sits on the dashboard when the cars not in use ( often for a week or more) and plugs conviently into a easilly accessible diagnostic port. Resulted in the original battery lasting way beyond expected life although plainly the battery was weak for years as the automatic stop start ceased activating until I had a new battery fitted.
https://products.carmagazine.co.uk/car-maintenance/car-care/best-solar-battery-chargers/
Note not all come with a plug for the diagnostic port and some only have battery clips with them.

Oh, I'll have a look into that as even when I'm not unwell, I might go a week or so without using the car.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Gas engineer hasn’t turned up to replace faulty gas smart meter. It’s almost as if they don’t want paying for the gas I’m using.

tom73

Guru
This morning I went into my newly re-furbished and re-located office. Most things were in, but not all complete yet.

We've gone from our own offices to large shared ones but with our own desk and storage in 2009 to a new set-up where we're hot-desking with a small locker for storage. However, I'm convinced the hot-desks will become personalised ...

At the council every so often FM did an evening raid and removed anything left out on desks or under them.They made you go to secretary to fetch them. We also got warnings left on desks if stuff was left out. It was strongly enforced nothing and no-one from top down was safe.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

What percentage do they expect to be hot desking at any one time and how did they come up with the number? Also is there a live dashboard of percentage of hot desks in use that you can view remotely?

Coming in and not being able to get a hot desk is a pretty shoot experience

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
At the council every so often FM did an evening raid and removed anything left out on desks or under them.They made you go to secretary to fetch them. We also got warnings left on desks if stuff was left out. It was strongly enforced nothing and no-one from top down was safe.

I'm not sure anything like that will happen. We've found things left by retirees from several years ago in the packing process.

What percentage do they expect to be hot desking at any one time and how did they come up with the number? Also is there a live dashboard of percentage of hot desks in use that you can view remotely?

Coming in and not being able to get a hot desk is a pretty shoot experience
I'm not sure they'll track it, or be too bothered. Basically we're a growing subject so have more desks. Other subject areas have less.

Currently there's about 16 full-time, 8 fractional and 6 hourly-paid colleagues and many work from home unless teaching. We'll use some of the desks for now, then hopefully grow into the rest.

In addition to hot-desks there's meeting pods and other spaces available for use.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The cruise ship cyclist menace spreads.
My brother told me about difficulties with large groups of cyclists blocking roads on Shetland when they come off cruise ships. This seems to have now spread to Orkney and residents there are getting annoyed by the same problem.
The police there are getting involved and the liner owners are getting harassed.
Not a way to make friends and influence people.
Anybody coming off a cruise ship here would be faced with a steep climb out of town and lots of hills everywhere so not so likely.
On the Isle of Lewis visitor numbers are overwhelming the Callanish Stones site and charging is being considered as one way of controlling numbers.
When we first went there many years ago there was no barrier of any kind and certainly no visitor centre. There is a photo somewhere of my wife climbing on one of the stones which would cause massive reaction nowadays.

The cruise ship cyclist menace spreads.
My brother told me about difficulties with large groups of cyclists blocking roads on Shetland when they come off cruise ships. This seems to have now spread to Orkney and residents there are getting annoyed by the same problem.
The police there are getting involved and the liner owners are getting harassed.
Not a way to make friends and influence people.
Anybody coming off a cruise ship here would be faced with a steep climb out of town and lots of hills everywhere so not so likely.
On the Isle of Lewis visitor numbers are overwhelming the Callanish Stones site and charging is being considered as one way of controlling numbers.
When we first went there many years ago there was no barrier of any kind and certainly no visitor centre. There is a photo somewhere of my wife climbing on one of the stones which would cause massive reaction nowadays.

A friend and her husband have just moved to Shetland, and they've yet to start grumbling about this. I suspect they will, in time, get as irked as you regarding the tourists.

Friend's husband is the new vicar on Yell.

Top Bottom