Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Another working week completed for me and another manic one

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Knackered after spending a lot of time gardening. At least the border beside my front path looks more respectable now and got rid of some brambles but ivy is impossible to eradicate.
I used to enjoy gardening and had a productive garden and polytunnel. It was said to be the best garden in this area due to depth of soil over the underlying rock. We fed it seaweed annually and horse dung which a neighbouring house wanted rid of. Did my back in getting the dung into our garden but another neighbour came to my rescue and got the rest up off the trailer in the roadway.
At least I do not now cut my own grass and a neighbour does it and I supply him with however much petrol he needs for his own garden and a bit beside the road as well.
Going up to dig for potatoes I discover he has also cleared a path with his strimmer leading to my top shed.

Being out the front I noticed the holiday house owner has appeared from foreign parts to cut his grass but just chucks the cuttings over into the field beside the house. He is the same one who built a bonfire when the wind was blowing away from his house and covered my car in ash. The local constable happened to be passing off duty and told me I could get him under some obscure law but it would be more bother than worth.

Mmmmmm, Tymal Mills is a sight for these sore eyes... :wub:

Gwylan

Veteran
There was a series of Ready Brek (a porridge cereal) ads in which the ''central heating for kids'' made them glow out in the cold. There's 3 of the series here:

As @oldwheels says, Windscale was the name of a nuclear power station which had a succession of accidents involving radiation leaks. It earned itself such a bad reputation that it was subsequently renamed Sellafield.
Not the Nine O'clock News' satirical programe spoofed the ad and used the glowing graphics to indicate not warmth but radiation.

For context that was when winters were real, we had one fire in the whole house. And paraffin stoves elsewhere.
Boom, boom, Esso Blue.

Got chilblains, had the clothes we were in and something for Sunday.
Two channels on TV. Well a flickering shades of grey on a small, very small screen to that neighbours came to share .
Children died of measles and pneumonia. Got impetigo, tickets. We're dosed with cod liner oil and malt extract.

Then they invented ReadyBrek, go to work on an egg and put a peach on it It was great!

Top Bottom