Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I tooky perambulation a bit later today due to not having to work. I see the council have lifted to pavement yet again, sending pedestrians on an inconvenient detour. The paving stones always get loose around there, probably due to people parking their Tonka toy SUVs on them as they're too lazy to walk from the carpark to the Spar shop. It must be about 40 feet away!

A lot more traffic, possibly due to some of the schools starting back this week.

I helped someone in a stricken Fabia push it to the side of the road while drivers blared their horns and squeezed past on the footpath. Brought back many unhappy memories of my own Fabia ownership experience.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A bit damp this morning but it will probably clear up into hopefully a nice day.

Morning ferries MV Loch Frisa is still off. Makes it a problem as I want to have a day trip to Oban but no confidence in the ferry currently. Don't want to be stuck in Oban overnight and the alternative of a 120 mile diversion in the tourist season does not appeal either.

At least in emergency there are better arrangements. My nearest neighbour's mother had a stroke a couple of days ago and immediately helicoptered off to Glasgow. Probably faster service than mainland.

Coffee time.

My dear wife has the same approach, although in her case it's because that's normal in Japan; everyone seems to ride with the handlebars in a position that they can barely see over them, and their knees somewhere around their ears. Oh, and their heels on the pedals and feet at 45° to the frame.

I should add that I've managed to persuade her to change this to a somewhat more practical position, if only because I couldn't find a bike small enough. for this style. Her original riding position allowed her to put both feet flat on the ground when sat on the saddle...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Illaveago & @Andy in Germany - once seen it's all over the place.

Either riding like that is 'cool' or they don't know better. I've mentioned it to a few, with "oh" usually a reply, and to parents if their kid's bike is set up like that.

@Illaveago - you could either sell it or donate it to a bike charity?

Anyway, we're back from Ireland and today will be about drying stuff out and doing some final bike build/maintenance jobs with son no. 2 on his university bikes before he goes back.

My dear wife has the same approach, although in her case it's because that's normal in Japan; everyone seems to ride with the handlebars in a position that they can barely see over them, and their knees somewhere around their ears. Oh, and their heels on the pedals and feet at 45° to the frame.

I think they are halfway to riding a recumbent cycle !

Tenkaykev

Guru
Aren't those (the beach huts, not the children, obv..) about a million squids per square inch on Sandbanks??

There's been much controversy over the years. If you are a ratepayer in Poole you can apply for a beach hut. As you can imagine there's a very long waiting list. Also people from outside the area with local relatives get around the residency rules. The council has an excellent large beach Chalet complete with small kitchen facilities which anyone can hire for celebrations, though that is usually booked well in advance. There's also a Beach Wedding Marquee type business near Bournemouth Pier. There's no sleeping overnight allowed in the Beach Huts, the really expensive ones are at Mudeford IIRC, they're about £250K or thereabouts. We rarely visit Sandbanks in the Summer, it's far too crowded unless you go very early in the morning, autumn, winter, spring are much better. If you get the Chain Ferry across the short distance to Studland, Shell bay is magnificent, there's also South Beach on that side, with a footpath leading to a small secluded Beach with a little wooden shack type cafe, well worth a visit.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from a sunny/cloudy/sunny/cloudy Suffolk where it's finally dried up after a series of downpours yesterday afternoon. At least I'd got the grass cut, bedding changed, washed & dried before the rain hit.

Late on parade again due to having a very lazy start to the day and I still haven't decided what (if anything) I'm going to do for the rest of it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
one of our neighbors has a wood fire burning. I like that smell in the morning

In my recent stroll around the neighbourhood I passed an Indian restaurant, a very recently installed Zebra Crossing, still redolent with the smell of fresh asphalt and a building plot where the chippies were sawing up timber. All smells that I really like. If they could combine the smell of all three it would make the perfect after shave.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
In my recent stroll around the neighbourhood I passed an Indian restaurant, a very recently installed Zebra Crossing, still redolent with the smell of fresh asphalt and a building plot where the chippies were sawing up timber. All smells that I really like. If they could combine the smell of all three it would make the perfect after shave.

Would you add the aroma of diesel locomotive exhaust?

Top Bottom