Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's at least 40 years since I lived in Welling, so they must be a new addition. I think the railway has gone but they still have boats on the lake.

Yes, the parakeets started to colonise SE London about 15-20 years ago before expanding their empire. They've been very successful and they can't help boasting about it. There's definitely no railway and neither is there a boating pond anymore. There are, as you say, boats on the lake though.

We've got thunder and lightning!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I only ever saw what must have been your lido with paddle boats in it.

Screenshot_20230826-165028~2.png

Screenshot_20230826-165146~2.png

Not the boating lake. Nearer the old main road, I think.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Back home much earlier than expected as the meeting was abandoned due to an accident during the first race after lunch which, I suspect, ended with a tragic result although nothing has been published yet ☹️. I saw the incident and the reaction of those first on scene so I was not surprised when the announcement was made of the abandonment.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Rained most of the day so nothing much done outside.
I fancied a bit of smoked fish so got out my smoker and did some fillets from the freezer. This has to be done outside and since it was not too windy worked ok. The smoker has not been in use for some time as I have not been mackerel fishing for a couple of years and that is what we normally smoked.

Somebody has been making enquiries about Mull Riveter which was produced as a hobby business by somebody in Bunessan. It was a vile concoction but some people liked it. After a few your brain still worked but for some reason your feet did not connect to the rest of the body.

Don't know what Calmac are up to now as the later boats have all been cancelled due allegedly to staff shortages. Mebbe they did not have enough bookings to bother but very frustrating for anybody tring to get here. Not so bad getting off as there was time to get the Fishnish/Lochaline ferry but from Oban very dodgy trying to get on that way particularly on a holiday weekend with bimblers holding traffic up and a deadline to meet.

It's been a day of sunshine and showers here chez Casa Reynard

Slept well and have had a bit of a chores day. Did laundry, made apple butter and a big pot of bacon & lentil soup to use up the stock & vegetables I used to cook the gammon.

Listened to the football while doing stuff, now watching the athletics and following the Hundred play off via text commentary.

And I'd better feed the cat, as I'm being stared at...

Mrs p received a package from Amazon which should have contained an Apple Smart watch.She opened the box and it contained a bottle of tool lubricant (No rude remarks please) Contacted Amazon after much online chat they have agreed to send the watch.

Bottle of lubricant waiting for collection by DPD

There was a whole brouhaha earlier this year about high value (usually tech) items from Amazon being replaced by things like pet food. Obviously it's still going on.

And every time they looked up, there were you tucking into your fish and chips. Must have helped them a lot.

Worst crossing was years ago, sailing out of Liverpool for Dublin, on the MV Innisfallen*. We'd cleared the estuary, into the Irish Sea, when we hit a storm head on. You'd still be moving upwards as roof was moving downwards.
T'were that bad they had to shut the Duty Free! The sound of all those bottles hitting the floor is still remembered.

*The only one on the route that wasn't named after an Irish province.

Yep, sounds exactly the same as a crossing I did many years ago between Dover and Zeebrugge on, I think, the European Trader.

Back home much earlier than expected as the meeting was abandoned due to an accident during the first race after lunch which, I suspect, ended with a tragic result although nothing has been published yet ☹️. I saw the incident and the reaction of those first on scene so I was not surprised when the announcement was made of the abandonment.

Yes, it's been confirmed on the VSCC website that the driver concerned lost his life. :sad:

*HUGS* :hugs:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Motorsport UK Statement

Motorsport UK is deeply saddened to announce that Roger Twelvetrees lost his life in an incident at the Vintage Sports-Car Club meeting at Mallory Park Circuit on Saturday 26 August.
The thoughts of everyone at Motorsport UK are with his family and friends, the Vintage Sports-Car Club and members of the motorsport community.
Motorsport UK has initiated a full investigation into the circumstance of the incident and will work closely with the Vintage Sports-Car Club and relevant authorities.

Bugger & R.I.P. Mr. Twelvetrees. What makes this even worse is that his son was also in the same race. You've got to admire the courage of the drivers when you are sat on your car (as below - this is not the driver involved) rather than in it
Mark Walker - Darracq 200hp (2).jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There was a whole brouhaha earlier this year about high value (usually tech) items from Amazon being replaced by things like pet food. Obviously it's still going on.

There are accidents sometimes. I ordered something ( cannot remember what) from Amazon and it did arrive but in the same package there was a Kindle and some kitchen implement which were for somebody in southern England.
I phoned Amazon but they seemed reluctant to arrange for collection of the items I did not need or want.

Top Bottom