Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Disclaimer: I give as good as I get in these exchanges. In fact being able to give and take this in an environment of underlying respect and trust is why I'm trying not to leave this company.

When you are part of a team that can poke fun at each other without anyone taking offense, treasure it!.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Library this morning.
I take the car nearly to the door in the school playground due to walking difficulties. Nobody has so far objected and they would get a dusty answer if they did.
Went down to have a look at the madness on Main St and the car park. One motorhome has taken up 2 spaces in the disabled section but at least they have a blue badge on display. There seems to be more of them than ever free overnight parking here.
Those who free camp in laybys or other available spaces are not getting many friends as some areas are turning into open sewers and those with chemical toilets are as bad because they empty them in the public toilets {despite notices telling them not to} thus causing blockages and the septic tanks cannot cope with the chemicals. Apparently most public toilets are blocked and the ones on Iona are reported flowing over the top so much that women are reporting being unable to use them.

I trust you will have finished your evening meal. :eek:

Sat on my usual bench overlooking the marina for a while as it was available. It was very wet after the last rain shower but I carry a medium size poly bag for sitting on in such conditions.

Evening .
We have had rain showers today . The washing on the line should now be wet !
I have been feeling really tired today. I can't remember what the programme was that I started nodding off during this afternoon but I continued through several others .

Gwylan

Veteran
Morning.
It's sort of grey here ! Dry but grey!
In the distance I can see what looks like a silver Subaru Impreza. It looks like it has a rear spoiler on it . Either that or it is an ironing board mounted on the boot lid .
For all the good it does it might as well be an ironing board.
Good polish and the right tyres and pressure might make more difference.
But what do I know, I ride a bike

Gwylan

Veteran
Library this morning.
I take the car nearly to the door in the school playground due to walking difficulties. Nobody has so far objected and they would get a dusty answer if they did.
Went down to have a look at the madness on Main St and the car park. One motorhome has taken up 2 spaces in the disabled section but at least they have a blue badge on display. There seems to be more of them than ever free overnight parking here.
Those who free camp in laybys or other available spaces are not getting many friends as some areas are turning into open sewers and those with chemical toilets are as bad because they empty them in the public toilets {despite notices telling them not to} thus causing blockages and the septic tanks cannot cope with the chemicals. Apparently most public toilets are blocked and the ones on Iona are reported flowing over the top so much that women are reporting being unable to use them.

I trust you will have finished your evening meal. :eek:

Sat on my usual bench overlooking the marina for a while as it was available. It was very wet after the last rain shower but I carry a medium size poly bag for sitting on in such conditions.

Is that the new marina that some genius in the town hall decided was a good idea?
Or did they just want to puff off the new owner of the Kerrera Marina?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Is that the new marina that some genius in the town hall decided was a good idea?
Or did they just want to puff off the new owner of the Kerrera Marina?

Nothing to do with any politician. The Kerrera Marina is miles away at Oban.
Crown Estate Scotland owns the seabed and blackmailed us in Tobermory into forming a Moorings Committee to lay and charge for moorings which were previously free to all. If we did not do this they would levy much higher charges themselves to individual boat owners.
This led on to pontoons which have grown into the present marina. This is a community organisation which has become a business run by a committee of local volunteers who employ workers.
I was a member of the original organisation but retired some years ago.

Edit. I have reread your post and did not realise initially you were referring to Oban.
The local shopkeeping mafia in Oban ( yes really) have been agitating for years to get boats tied up near the town to get more money from them. It is certainly more convenient for shopping rather than taking a ferry across to Kerrera. For winter storage I think Kerrera is still the favoured place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom