Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Humid, blustery and overcast here chez Casa Reynard.

Did not sleep well (my brain wouldn't switch off). Have had a quiet morning doing some general puttering about, and have booked to test drive the Skoda Rapid that the garage have on their forecourt.

Out of the cars they have in, it's the only one in budget that really matches my criteria, although the compromise is that it's high mileage. They have a Fabia hatchback that's also in budget, but it's not the best on inside space or rear visibility, and having solely driven an estate since my Felicia went *fzzzzzt* I'm not sure I can live with that. They have a Fabia estate as well, but it's over budget, although I may consider it if I have to. At the moment, I'm keeping my options open. The biggie for me is that a) I need to be able to reach the pedals and b) I need to see over the dashboard. Ah, the joys of being short.

In better news, my package of Paul Warwick memorabilia has arrived from Latvia.

Anyways, it is time for luncheon.

Humid, blustery and overcast here chez Casa Reynard.

Did not sleep well (my brain wouldn't switch off). Have had a quiet morning doing some general puttering about, and have booked to test drive the Skoda Rapid that the garage have on their forecourt.

Out of the cars they have in, it's the only one in budget that really matches my criteria, although the compromise is that it's high mileage. They have a Fabia hatchback that's also in budget, but it's not the best on inside space or rear visibility, and having solely driven an estate since my Felicia went *fzzzzzt* I'm not sure I can live with that. They have a Fabia estate as well, but it's over budget, although I may consider it if I have to. At the moment, I'm keeping my options open. The biggie for me is that a) I need to be able to reach the pedals and b) I need to see over the dashboard. Ah, the joys of being short.

In better news, my package of Paul Warwick memorabilia has arrived from Latvia.

Anyways, it is time for luncheon.

Had a lovely luncheon of two slices of wholemeal toast, one with parma ham, one with cheddar and plum & banana chutney, plus a nectarine, a banana and two :cuppa:

Spent the afternoon erranding for the parental unit. Sans car, the task was delegated to Wiggy #2, the Chartres. I rather enjoyed the ride, though my knees weren't quite so keen. Stopped off en route to investigate a stand of hazel bushes that I forage from as I noticed that the nuts were all falling off. That's about a month early, and was explained by the fact that the shells were all empty as a result of it having been so dry earlier in the year.

Just chilling now with a nice post-ride :cuppa:

What are you doing with your old car ? Are you trading it in or scrapping it ?

Don't ask me what's going on ! :wacko:

I went for a ride with my friends this morning . Not sure of the distance yet . I will have to work it out .
This afternoon I was working on my butler . I thought I might have it going but things conspired against me . First of all I found excessive play in the BB. I went to remove the left crank only to find the thread in the crank was stripped . I managed to clean up the start and a couple of the threads and managed to get my puller to screw in . I then found that the BB cup was really tight . A couple of hefty thumps with a punch and a hammer got it to budge but it was still tight . I eventually got it out with the aid of a pair of vice grips . The bearings on one side looked okay but the grease had dried out . It took a while to thoroughly clean up the bearings and dried grease. I squirted oil onto the other bearing through the frame . It will do now for my test ride . I refitted the crank , fitted a new chain and gear cable . I need to find some brake blocks before I can ride it .

Time to feed the cats, and then it will be time to feed me.

The last car I took to a scrapyard was a Saxo. I got over a hundred £££ for it. (which was quite good as I only paid £60 for it and used it for several years 😁)

Cool :becool:

I've been offered £200, which seems fair enough. It more than covers the VED on the Rapid (£180 P/A) if I go for that one.

The Felicia estate I've been offered is £20 P/A on VED, which makes it more desirable and hence more expensive to buy.

classic33

Leg End Member
Getting old strikes again - this morning's eye test confirmed that I could do with glasses for VDU work. The good news is that work paid for the eye test and will also pay for a pair of basic glasses (I did find a pair that weren't too bad) so at least my wallet won't take a hit.
They should be covered by "reasonable adjustment", and not just the cheapest option.

Top Bottom