Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Ahhh, how sweet. Hamilton just said on the team radio that he loves it here.
Just not enough to actually live here and pay income tax on his salary here.
Weird because he was in the list of top 5000 income tax payers back in 2019 and...
“What people don’t realise is that I pay tax here [in the UK], but I don’t earn all my money here," Hamilton said to The Sunday Times back in 2014.“I race in 19 different countries, so I earn my money in 20 different places and I pay tax in several different places, and I pay a lot here as well.
"I am contributing to the country and, not only that, I help keep a team of more than 1,000 people employed."
But people insist on perpetuating tabloid myths.

Drago

Legendary Member
He's being a little disingenuous. He works all over the world but has only one "employer" and they pay him in the same jurisdiction every time.

The rest of his income comes from sponsorships and his own business activities, and they will indeed be taxed in whatever country they are earned, most as corporation tax, some as income. We're he to reside here the numbers cited would be dwarfed but what he would now be paying.

The bottom line is he lives in Monaco as a tax exile - he chooses not to live in the UK because it is massifely financially disadfantagous for him to do so. He isn't there for the culture of for the coffee. That is a simple, unavoidable, fact, but some people think I read tabloids and not the periodic celebrity analysis in the FT.

He can life where he wants, he's entitled to do so and I wish him well, but waxing lyrical about the UK is pretty hollow. He loves his wallet more than the UK.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
The bottom line is he lives in Monaco as a tax exile - he chooses not to live in the UK because it is massifely financially disadfantagous for him to do so. He isn't there for the culture of for the coffee. That is a simple, unavoidable, fact, but some people think I read tabloids and not the periodic celebrity analysis in the FT.
That's true, but it's interesting how it's always Hamilton that gets picked on for that and none of the other drivers, or indeed any of the newspaper editors, politicians etc who like to make an example of him. What is it about Lewis Hamilton that gets up the noses of these people? They didn't do it with Nigel Mansell or any of the other successful British Drivers... Can't quite put my finger on it...

AndyRM

XOXO
That's true, but it's interesting how it's always Hamilton that gets picked on for that and none of the other drivers, or indeed any of the newspaper editors, politicians etc who like to make an example of him. What is it about Lewis Hamilton that gets up the noses of these people? They didn't do it with Nigel Mansell or any of the other successful British Drivers... Can't quite put my finger on it...

Beat me to it.

Not just racing drivers either. The way Rashford got slaughtered for charity work was nothing short of disgraceful.

But anyway, as I seem to be saying far too often these days NCAP is thataway (not you @icowden, I know you're brave enough to be there!)

Drago

Legendary Member
Rashford did an awesome thing, but there is no valid parallel there to this situation.

Certainly the "establishment" ( (c) 2024, the extreme loonies everywhere) agree and as a consequence no one after Hamilton will be eligible for a knighthood if they live overseas.

And that's not politics, that's a question of morals and/or priorities. Don't pith on me and tell me it's raining.

Alex321

Guru
Instead of the other current residents like George Russell, Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, Daniel Ricciardo, Valtteri Bottas, Alex Albon and Nico Hulkenberg

Well you wouldn't expect the British media to "pick on" any non-British drivers for that, which only leaves George, Lando and Alex from that list.

But then none of them are anywhere near as successful as Hamilton, and it is that success which pushes them into the media. More notice will be taken of those three if and when they start winning world championships.

Jody

Stubborn git
Well you wouldn't expect the British media to "pick on" any non-British drivers for that, which only leaves George, Lando and Alex from that list.

But then none of them are anywhere near as successful as Hamilton, and it is that success which pushes them into the media. More notice will be taken of those three if and when they start winning world championships.

If it's soley a tax issue, then they all lived in countries where tax would have been aplicable to their income.

I'm sure we'd all do it.

There are also more wealthy sir's living in Monaco than Lewis, if it's due to his peerage coupled with tax status.

Top Bottom