Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ricciardo out qualified Tshonda again. Looks like he might have found some mojo, or maybe the upgrades suit him, or whatever.

If he keeps this going it raises some interesting scenarios. Helmet (sic) had been making noises about dropping Ricciardo and promotion Lawson in 2025, but if the Australian manages to continue to outperform Tsunoda then that would be perverse.

And then if Verstappen did defect RB would potentially have to decide which of the three to promote to the senior team, and then whether to keep Tsunoda or replace him with some new talent, or even whether to bounce Perez down to VCARB.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
In other news,
I thought that was going to be quite dull until Max decided to take himself out of the race rather than let Lando past. After the excitement of last weeks race, this one looked quite dull after the off (and to be fair I think between the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes was in fact quite dull) .

Real boils my fluid though hearing RB Radio. Max having a whinge and being told be Horner that it wasn't his fault even though he had penalties. They should have told him like a grown up - you cocked up, they gave you a 10 second penalty for being a bluetit.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In other news,
I thought that was going to be quite dull until Max decided to take himself out of the race rather than let Lando past. After the excitement of last weeks race, this one looked quite dull after the off (and to be fair I think between the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes was in fact quite dull) .

Real boils my fluid though hearing RB Radio. Max having a whinge and being told be Horner that it wasn't his fault even though he had penalties. They should have told him like a grown up - you cocked up, they gave you a 10 second penalty for being a bluetit.

I thought Horner was pretty evasive when questioned about the incident and Max’s driving behaviour. He knows Max was out of order.

Lando looked near tears.

Drago

Legendary Member
It looked a bit marginal to me, but having watched it now from several angles Max did jink left. Only slight, but that was enough.

I'm not sure how Norris thought he'd get round the outside and get better drive out on the les optimum line, but he's entitled to try. Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but Max deserved having his bum spanked.

And Zak putting our statement questioning the level of punishment. Why? McLaren are so close every last iota of effort should be devoted to getting past RB. This is a waste of senior personnel's time and contributes nothing to that goal, so why do it? The closer McLaren get to the top to more ZB is becoming a pound shop Tonto Wolf, and look where that got Merdedes in the end?

Drago

Legendary Member

That's psychology though. Why give him a further distraction when he's out on the track? Deliberately foxtrotting him off isn't going to help him recover.

icowden

Veteran
I thought Horner was pretty evasive when questioned about the incident and Max’s driving behaviour. He knows Max was out of order.
Lando looked near tears.
Yeah, that's where the "punishment doesn't really fit the crime" bit comes in. Max gets a 10 second penalty for causing the collision. Lando gets to lose the entire chance to race and any chance of getting a single point. There should really be some sort of rule that prevents drivers from scoring points if they take out their opponent and it's ruled to be their fault.

Nice for Russell to get the top step though.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Yeah, that's where the "punishment doesn't really fit the crime" bit comes in. Max gets a 10 second penalty for causing the collision. Lando gets to lose the entire chance to race and any chance of getting a single point. There should really be some sort of rule that prevents drivers from scoring points if they take out their opponent and it's ruled to be their fault.

Similar incident at Le Mans previous weekend when Kubica took out the #15 BMW when lapping it. Vanthoor was minding his own business and Robert just wiped him out, ending that car's race.

The #81 Ferrari was given a 5 second time penalty. That was it. Though in the end justice was done, as their hybrid went *fzzzzt* during the night.

Really, if a penalty has to be applied for a transgression, it needs to be MEANINGFUL. That's the main gripe I have. Max got a 10s time penalty, which had no effect on him whatsoever, as the next car behind him was about 16 seconds back. Which meant he kept his place and his points. And then F1 wonders why it's a bleeding laughing stock...

raleighnut

Legendary Member

The motorsport equivalent of a 'professional foul'

figbat

Slippery scientist

The penalty didn’t even change Max’s position so was totally impactless.

Drago

Legendary Member
The penalty didn’t even change Max’s position so was totally impactless.

And that's the thing, the Marshals have to look at the infraction itself and cannot take into consideration the consequences, thus punishments often seem negatively out of proportion and have little actual effect.

I think he got 2 points on his previously clean licence though.

Top Bottom