Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would tend to agree that this is an almost impossible (and thankless) task - in trying to cater for everyone's needs you run the risk of pleasing no-one. I think the Perth CC ride (while great) was a good example of having too many cyclists of differing abilities and no one person "in charge". I'd be inclined to stick to the principle of posting a thread stating "I'm going for a ride [here], on [this date] meeting point [here] - who's in?".
Very true @Fubar
How about as a "curveball" planning, in advance, just one or two "big rides" during the year ala christmas lunch but plus bike? Distance not important but more of a leisurely social with emphasis on numbers and on cake :thumbsup:
@Telemark 's Kelpies and Falkirk Wheel tie in for example ;)

EDIT: Think i've just described a picnic :giggle:

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Very true @Fubar
How about as a "curveball" planning, in advance, just one or two "big rides" during the year ala christmas lunch but plus bike? Distance not important but more of a leisurely social with emphasis on numbers and on cake :thumbsup:

Not that I've been on one (yet) but sounds a bit like the Pedal On Parliament ride - without the political agenda! We could of course protest against the outrage of destruction of bee and other natural wildlife habitat for the erection of useless edifices - or we could just ride, have the picnic and go home again...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Very true @Fubar

:thumbsup: Surely ALL rides need cake, not just one or two a year :laugh::rolleyes: :mrpig:.
The thing about shorter/slower rides or even picnics :biggrin: is that those that want more miles/hills :heat: etc can always cycle to and from the meeting place.

Not that I've been on one (yet) but sounds a bit like the Pedal On Parliament ride - without the political agenda! We could of course protest against the outrage of destruction of bee and other natural wildlife habitat for the erection of useless edifices - or we could just ride, have the picnic and go home again...

The Kelpies will come and get you, @Fubar, they are all-seeing! Watch out when you are reaching for that piece of cake at the CC Ecosse picnic ride next year :ph34r:.

PoP was about a mile long, probably my slowest ever mile on a bike, and was great fun. There were quite a few CCers present on both events so far, some even in CC livery (@Scoosh & @Rasmus & @goo_mason spring to mind - especially Goo seemed to manage to be visible in a disproportionate number of the photos on the PoP website :thumbsup: ... subliminal advertising!)
If you ride all the way from Weegieland like @Rasmus, picking up various others including some Fifers (if memory serves me right), your mileage and speed would be quite different ... still, there was a picnic at Holyrood, and cake was to be had :smile: ... my claim to fame is that Graeme Obree ate a bit of my ginger loaf :wahhey:, lovely guy - gave a cracking speech, too:biggrin:!

T

:thumbsup: Surely ALL rides need cake, not just one or two a year :laugh::rolleyes: :mrpig:.
The thing about shorter/slower rides or even picnics :biggrin: is that those that want more miles/hills :heat: etc can always cycle to and from the meeting place.

The Kelpies will come and get you, @Fubar, they are all-seeing! Watch out when you are reaching for that piece of cake at the CC Ecosse picnic ride next year :ph34r:.

PoP was about a mile long, probably my slowest ever mile on a bike, and was great fun. There were quite a few CCers present on both events so far, some even in CC livery (@Scoosh & @Rasmus & @goo_mason spring to mind - especially Goo seemed to manage to be visible in a disproportionate number of the photos on the PoP website :thumbsup: ... subliminal advertising!)
If you ride all the way from Weegieland like @Rasmus, picking up various others including some Fifers (if memory serves me right), your mileage and speed would be quite different ... still, there was a picnic at Holyrood, and cake was to be had :smile: ... my claim to fame is that Graeme Obree ate a bit of my ginger loaf :wahhey:, lovely guy - gave a cracking speech, too:biggrin:!

T
Was thinking even more emphasis than usual on cake :thumbsup::mrpig:
An inaugural CC Ecosse Picnic Ride round the Kelpies with a Telemark ginger loaf (as endorsed by Graeme Obree) stall has a certain ring to it ;)
Someone might even get some decent ride pics to post other than hot chocolate bowls :tongue:

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The Belles came on "PoP the feeder ride" too, @Telemark :smile:
We had the faster ones joining the Intrepid Leader, while the slower ones came with me.
Btw, I met the guy that had the "wooden" bike yesterday, on the Glasgow Tartan Ride.
He's got a sleeker new bike, has been a bit embarrassed to join more CC Ecosse rides, so goes out with Go Bike now.
Anybody remembers his user name? I think as good cycle chatters we should try to get him back to ride with us.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've had alerts saying i'm being followed.........is stalking de rigueur on CC or should i be worried?
The distances you ride :bicycle: :bicycle:, mr m, I don't think any stalker could stay with you for long. :surrender:

I don't think you need to be worried. :headshake:

I, on the other hand, have found a young man person of - foreign extraction :unsure: yes, really - Following me. However, given the speeds :bicycle::bicycle: and distances :training: he/she rides :crazy: , he/she'll have overtaken me by now ... :heat:

So I need not worry either. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
The Belles came on "PoP the feeder ride" too, @Telemark :smile:
We had the faster ones joining the Intrepid Leader, while the slower ones came with me.
Btw, I met the guy that had the "wooden" bike yesterday, on the Glasgow Tartan Ride.
He's got a sleeker new bike, has been a bit embarrassed to join more CC Ecosse rides, so goes out with Go Bike now.
Anybody remembers his user name? I think as good cycle chatters we should try to get him back to ride with us.

Of course - I remember reading your highly entertaining reports about it, but I didn't know you then, so didn't meet you or even spot you among the thousands (the CC kit DOES stand out rather well, whoever designed it was/is a genius). - I think it was the Perth ride where I first met any Belles :hello: ... hope they are all doing well, and that they will come and join some more CC rides :thumbsup:

You'll definitely need to see if you can charm Mr wooden bike back to CC ;)

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I've had alerts saying i'm being followed.........is stalking de rigueur on CC or should i be worried?
Just been laughed at for not knowing what an "awky mo" is either :huh::sad:

I've had some, too :ph34r: ... seems that some of our glorious leader's instructions on how to use various features on CC included how to cyber-stalk your pals :ohmy: ... so I've decided to return the courtesy and stalk them right back :ninja::biggrin:. As far as I can see, all it means is that when you log on, the avatars of any pals also logged on pop up - a ploy to encourage more blethering methinks :headshake:, as if that's needed :blush:

Be worried :ph34r: :laugh:

Edit: you know that at my speed it's no chance of the stalker being me ^_^
Ah, but your cyber-stalking speed may be different ... maybe your cyber bike is a wee bit lighter than Boris, or it has a secret engine :tongue:

T

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Erm, you know that on following somebody your news feed will be full of the inane blather they post?
Some of us talk a lot :whistle:

Top Bottom