Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tolvar

Apologies for being off topic..
I'm doing Pedal Scotland tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else is booked on it.
I'm on 10.30 wave as there is no early trains from where I live.

Be grateful for bit of advice from anyone who has done this ride before

Lucky you, I couldn't do it this year. Best advice from a novice is to keep hydrated and keep turning those peddles, oh, and above all else, have fun!

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Good luck @Jen5656

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Apologies for being off topic..
I'm doing Pedal Scotland tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else is booked on it.
I'm on 10.30 wave as there is no early trains from where I live.

Be grateful for bit of advice from anyone who has done this ride before
I'm on the 8.30 start: have fun @Jen5656 :hello:

Jen5656

Hi Pat I was on the 10 am start as the earliest I could get train was 9am
It was a great day out and so well organised..hope you enjoyed it.
A wee first for me as I usually stick to cycle routes

DonnaHegarty

Well after all the chat from you guys about Arran I decided to brave it myself this weekend with Geraldine from the 'flat' Perth ride. Unfortunately we picked Saturday instead of Sunday for the ride so we certainly got rather wet! I think I may have developed trench foot! Following some guidance we headed clockwise, going to the south of the island first. Not sure how great that advice is as it leaves the beast of a hill out of Lochranza until near the end when tiredness is starting to appear. We may not have been the fastest cyclists around Arran ever but we done it and I'm pretty chuffed with that. There are some pretty terrible road conditions on Arran I have to say and both our rear wheels gave up on one of the downhills on the south of the island. Thankfully we both saved ourselves from a fall but it was quite a scare. Also rather a lot of slurry of the roads at the moment - so that also ended up all over me! Lovely! That Lochranza hill is a killer I have to say. It just goes on and on and on for 8 miles! It certainly made my Crow Road achievement last week look like a small lump in comparison. Delighted to have done Arran. Next time I would like to order nicer weather please - it would have been nice to have seen the island as well as cycle it :-)

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Well after all the chat from you guys about Arran I decided to brave it myself this weekend with Geraldine from the 'flat' Perth ride. Unfortunately we picked Saturday instead of Sunday for the ride so we certainly got rather wet! I think I may have developed trench foot! Following some guidance we headed clockwise, going to the south of the island first. Not sure how great that advice is as it leaves the beast of a hill out of Lochranza until near the end when tiredness is starting to appear. We may not have been the fastest cyclists around Arran ever but we done it and I'm pretty chuffed with that. There are some pretty terrible road conditions on Arran I have to say and both our rear wheels gave up on one of the downhills on the south of the island. Thankfully we both saved ourselves from a fall but it was quite a scare. Also rather a lot of slurry of the roads at the moment - so that also ended up all over me! Lovely! That Lochranza hill is a killer I have to say. It just goes on and on and on for 8 miles! It certainly made my Crow Road achievement last week look like a small lump in comparison. Delighted to have done Arran. Next time I would like to order nicer weather please - it would have been nice to have seen the island as well as cycle it :-)
You are both welcome to join the forum ride Saturday on Arran, early weather report is dry :smile:

DonnaHegarty

You are both welcome to join the forum ride Saturday on Arran, early weather report is dry :smile:
Thank you - although Saturday is a rather bigger challenge altogether. I fly out that day to start my California Cycle Challenge - cycling across California from Yosemite to San Francisco to raise cash for Kilbryde Hospice. This is the challenge that got me back on the bike but I'm now hooked I have to say :-) Just hoping all my training is enough and I enjoy the challenge. It will be quite an experience I'm sure :-)

DonnaHegarty

That sounds brilliant, how far is that?
About 400kms over 5 days. The start and end days are hilly shorter days with longer flatter days in the middle. I can't believe how quickly this has arrived! Arran was my last big training ride - just gentle keep the legs moving rides for the rest of the week now :smile:

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
After Arran, I'd like them to try and throw a hill at you that you can't get over easily.

Take lots of pics, and throw up a link to your fundraising site before you go. Good luck!

snorri

Legendary Member
I have not done much cycling this summer after a rather disappointiing tour in June when the cool weather seemed to sap my enthusiasm. However, last week I loosened up with a few trips to the shops etc and today managed a circuit of the Dornoch Firth in glorious weather and with an excellent cake stop at the Migdale Golf Club.
Hey! I feel I'm back in the groove!^_^

Col5632

Guru
Top Bottom