Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBC

Veteran
How soon you forget……..The Carrera is in the LBS just now, so last night, I took the old Dawes Diploma out instead. It hasn’t really turned a wheel since I got the Carrera, but I have been starting to renovate it a bit to use in the poor weather to come. 700 X 35 Schwalbe tyres and a big saddlebag for the wet weather gear are the pluses, and the 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear, well not quit a minus. It did have the old style ‘wrap-around’ handlebars, but I’ve replaced them with the drops off the Triumph which I find more comfortable. The bike, about 1990 vintage is the first one I got when I got back into cycling, so I do look upon it fondly.

I set off and all seemed well, brakes working, though maybe a slight rub, and a bit of stiffness getting it into first gear. Heading up the Ayr Road I was really enjoying it, dawdling up in second gear, but when I tried to drop to first on the steeper part before the Mearns Shopping Centre, I couldn’t make it. I dismounted and had a fiddle with the adjustment, overdid it and then underdid it, and then thought “Just get on with it and fix it when you get home.” I went on a bit but by then, as it was beautiful evening, I was really hoping to extend what was just planned as a test run for a bit and head over by Whitelees and back through Clarkston. The run up to Whitelees would definitely be a first gear job, certainly for me, so I stopped again for another fiddle. Nothing doing. It worked fine while I was stationary, but when I tried to change on the move, no chance.

And then, purely by accident, I stopped pedalling while I was trying to change gear, maybe even a little back-pedal, and that’s when I remembered how to change with hub gears:blush:

Fubar

Guru
Did cleish hill in the pitch darkness last night...never again :laugh::ph34r:

Why did you do Cleish in the dark?!?!? I was thinking when I read it that going up would be bad but coming down would be worse - then I read your second post!!! Tell me you had lights???

Fubar

Guru
How soon you forget……..The Carrera is in the LBS just now, so last night, I took the old Dawes Diploma out instead. It hasn’t really turned a wheel since I got the Carrera, but I have been starting to renovate it a bit to use in the poor weather to come. 700 X 35 Schwalbe tyres and a big saddlebag for the wet weather gear are the pluses, and the 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear, well not quit a minus. It did have the old style ‘wrap-around’ handlebars, but I’ve replaced them with the drops off the Triumph which I find more comfortable. The bike, about 1990 vintage is the first one I got when I got back into cycling, so I do look upon it fondly.

I set off and all seemed well, brakes working, though maybe a slight rub, and a bit of stiffness getting it into first gear. Heading up the Ayr Road I was really enjoying it, dawdling up in second gear, but when I tried to drop to first on the steeper part before the Mearns Shopping Centre, I couldn’t make it. I dismounted and had a fiddle with the adjustment, overdid it and then underdid it, and then thought “Just get on with it and fix it when you get home.” I went on a bit but by then, as it was beautiful evening, I was really hoping to extend what was just planned as a test run for a bit and head over by Whitelees and back through Clarkston. The run up to Whitelees would definitely be a first gear job, certainly for me, so I stopped again for another fiddle. Nothing doing. It worked fine while I was stationary, but when I tried to change on the move, no chance.

And then, purely by accident, I stopped pedalling while I was trying to change gear, maybe even a little back-pedal, and that’s when I remembered how to change with hub gears:blush:

I reckon 25% of the users on this thread will have no idea what you're on about - myself included...

Col5632

Guru
Why did you do Cleish in the dark?!?!? I was thinking when I read it that going up would be bad but coming down would be worse - then I read your second post!!! Tell me you had lights???

I planned on doing the whole fife ride, left at half 7 with my lights at the ready knowing it would get dark, time i got to knockhill the sun had gone, I pushed onto cleish and decided to forget doing round loch leven but i forgot the 4 mile route before cleish and cleish itself would not have any lights at all, had to stop at the top of cleish to change the battery on my front light as the first one had pretty much gone, i won't be doing it again :ph34r:

I reckon 25% of the users on this thread will have no idea what you're on about - myself included...

Me also included :laugh:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
With hub gears you cannot change gear while applying force to the drivetrain (for a reason similar to why you have to disengage the clutch before changing gear in your car).

Very useful for changing gears while stopped at a red light - but a necessity you can easily forget after years of riding derailleur-geared bikes...

Rasmus

Without a clever title
You don't have to be old to know about hub gears... They are the perfect option for low-maintenance utility cycling - and the modern 8-speed ones have a pretty good range for hills, too.

I never owned a derailleur-geared bike before moving to Scotland. Used to challenge myself by sprinting up this "hill" in the top gear of my old 3-speeder on my commute home from uni.

GBC

Veteran
You don't have to be old to know about hub gears... They are the perfect option for low-maintenance utility cycling - and the modern 8-speed ones have a pretty good range for hills, too.

I never owned a derailleur-geared bike before moving to Scotland. Used to challenge myself by sprinting up this "hill" in the top gear of my old 3-speeder on my commute home from uni.

If yours was anything like my top gear Rasmus, that would be a bit of a challenge even for you:smile:

I didn't even think about it when I bought it second hand in 1995, as three speed hubs were all I'd ever had since childhood, though of course I had ridden derailleurs. I'd have to say that I now much prefer them, and the Dawes will only be for fun or bad weather, or if I really want to push myself sometimes. Variety......spice....life....:thumbsup:

Jen5656

Apologies for being off topic..
I'm doing Pedal Scotland tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else is booked on it.
I'm on 10.30 wave as there is no early trains from where I live.

Be grateful for bit of advice from anyone who has done this ride before

Top Bottom