Votes: 377 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 304 21.2%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 169 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 254 17.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tompb19

Commuting to work tomorrow after moving house last month. 21km each way! Decided to finally commute because once I've got home after work and ~an hour each way on public transport I'm too tired / unmotivated to go out cycling in the dark.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I used to commute 6 miles each way along the Tarka Trail into Barnstaple.
I retired 3 weeks ago..................Yippee!:wahhey:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I used to commute 6 miles each way along the Tarka Trail into Barnstaple.
I retired 3 weeks ago..................Yippee!:wahhey:

Nice one.. though I hope you are still knocking out the daily mileage.
It would drive me nuts not commuting by bike. I have thought about it, when I retire what would I do without the daily commute. :wacko:

solan

Regular
I'm so unfit! I cycled yesterday just a nice calm ride I was was overtaken numerous off times but pro looking guys in there gear. Me looking like I'm having a mini heart attack had to pull over and stop. Hats off to all you its so much harder than I thought :/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm so unfit! I cycled yesterday just a nice calm ride I was was overtaken numerous off times but pro looking guys in there gear. Me looking like I'm having a mini heart attack had to pull over and stop. Hats off to all you its so much harder than I thought :/

Stick with it bud. A lot of us have been there. It does get easier as you get fitter. Don't worry about others over taking you, you do your own thing. Your speed and fitness will come in time.

It's a bit deceptive, but you'll be amazed how soon you'll be overtaking the FPK brigade, if you keep at it. The first 2 months are the worst (I think it's a mental thing as much as a physical thing). Keep going, it never gets easier, you just get faster.:thumbsup:

solan

Regular
It's a bit deceptive, but you'll be amazed how soon you'll be overtaking the FPK brigade, if you keep at it. The first 2 months are the worst (I think it's a mental thing as much as a physical thing). Keep going, it never gets easier, you just get faster.:thumbsup:
Thanks I tried again today (in this nasty drizzle weather) I was not so bad and even a fellow cyclists gave me encouragement. Which made my day. But cycling in Fulham is still a little scary. But I'm getting there slowly but surely :bicycle:

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I do a 23 mile round trip commute two or three times a week . I have been doing it for three years now but to start with , after not riding a bike for years , it was hell . Only really started doing it to keep fit after I had to retire from football due to injury and already doing more running a week than I like to. Things will get easier Solan !!!

Wyshniukas

Regular
My commute is only 5 miles/8km one way but it is quite busy roads (Old Street, Angel, King Cross, Euston) so it feels like 10 miles filtering through traffic at peak.

8ball

door to door is 15.2 miles, but on the home trip I will extend it to anywhere between 25-35 miles... so anywhere from 30-50 mile round trip

carling

I'm thinking about cycling 1 or 2 days a week when the summer months come.

Only problem is my commute would be around 26 miles each way.

Too much or doable?

I reckon it should take 1.45/2 hours each way.

Top Bottom