Have you voted yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Just been. Not another voter in sight.

As a UK resident, an American work colleague not only has to pay UK taxes, but USA tax* too! So think yourself (relatively) lucky.

*Don't ask me for details, all i know is that.
I'm not entirely sure of the details either, but an Italian girl I know has to pay tax in both countries.

That would be the very first thing I would sort.

alicat

Squire
Have you not regularised your status in the UK? I suggest that you do and apply for citizenship if you haven't done so, that's if I'm understanding you correctly, excuse me if I'm not. Your pension rights could be affected I think.
Pension rights have to do with one's NI record and right of residence not citizenship.

scragend

Just been. Not another voter in sight.

As a UK resident, an American work colleague not only has to pay UK taxes, but USA tax* too! So think yourself (relatively) lucky.

*Don't ask me for details, all i know is that.

One of the privileges of being a citizen of the Land of the Free is that you get to pay US tax on your worldwide income no matter where in the world you live.

Unlike the UK where, if you are a British citizen living abroad (non-UK resident), you only pay tax in the UK on income arising here. If you earn it abroad it isn't taxed in the UK but of course may be taxed in the country where you are resident.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Don't get me wrong, I am VERY interested in politics - heck, I took it as one of my A Levels.

What I'm NOT interested in is turning this thread into a political one and having the mods then have to send it to the place that must not be named. I merely wanted to discuss how, where and when people had voted, not who they'd voted for.

Join NCAP then.

As I've said before it really isn't that bad, and the more members there the better.

But otherwise yeah, start another "not political thread" even though it clearly is.

I voted by walking up to my local polling station this morning. Someone who lives next to the place was worried about potential damage to their car. The people running the show gave her short shrift.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Are you sure?

I assume you have permission to enter or stay in the UK and are a citizen of an EU country (France), in which case you can register to vote.

I wasn't aware of that but we wil bear it in mind for the future. Thanks for that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just been now to vote in my 12th General Election since my first one in 1979.
As you can see, I didn't have far to walk from my front door.

hc=94Vza9z3zucQ7kNvgG0vZzq&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Where's that thread about posting a pic of your dog outside a polling station gone? 🤔

hc=X-6fa8lAj2QQ7kNvgH1djua&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=Vzv05flWSS0Q7kNvgEAdw04&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=FvXdDtojBc8Q7kNvgFRZfDR&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

hc=JNFS6-ZRM7kQ7kNvgGbdFFy&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

My flat in the background, taken on the steps of the polling station.

hc=evNB20nFsgQQ7kNvgFFqYlE&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Held back on making my mind up and completing the postal vote paperwork until Sunday afternoon just in case of any last minute press revelations. Other than the usual suspects (who weren't even on my long list, let alone the short list) nothing came out so the envelope got dropped into the post box on Sunday evening.

Last edited:

TrishE

Über Member
I voted by post last week. I couldn't vote for the main ones as they don't stand against the speaker and he's independent because he has to be impartial.

I'm not entirely sure of the details either, but an Italian girl I know has to pay tax in both countries.

That would be the very first thing I would sort.

There are double tax agreements between most countries. You are unlikely to have to pay tax on your entire income in both jurisdictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom