Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I am half way to work and realise I have forgotten my clock in card. So I turn around and rush home.
I come from a national speed limit zone into a 30. So, I gradually slow down, however I am still doing 35 when I realise there is a mobile speed camera van being a ninja in some trees ahead of me. I come off the gas (so the nose doesnt dip under braking) and pass them at 30.

Me: Damn, damn, damn! I had better not have been caught then. Damn!

When I come past them in the other direction, the traffic ahead of me is doing 25mph. I thought it was a little too cautious though.
I am expecting a Fine in the post and will happily pay it. I know I was in the wrong.
Not sure why you posted this here - you just know you'll get abuse for it! Especially if you ever dare post anything else about motorists exceeding the speed limit when you're on your bike....

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Not sure why you posted this here - you just know you'll get abuse for it! Especially if you ever dare post anything else about motorists exceeding the speed limit when you're on your bike....
You cant tell how fast someone is driving when you are cycling. It wasnt like I was doing 45 in a 30, that would be very obvious. But slowing from 60 to a 30, you have to get used to the speed. You are used to doing 60 and TBH 40 feels like 30.
I was aware of my speed though, I was just not concentrating on very far ahead.

Octet

Veteran

You cant tell how fast someone is driving when you are cycling. It wasnt like I was doing 45 in a 30, that would be very obvious. But slowing from 60 to a 30, you have to get used to the speed. You are used to doing 60 and TBH 40 feels like 30.

:popcorn:

Moving swiftly back on topic,

"Do you think there will be enough ice cream"
"Yes mum.... it's a two litre tub!"

(Amongst four people I should point out, with apple pie.... hmmm)

Speicher

Vice Admiral

No, Matthew you have got that wrong. YOU may feel that 40 feels like 30 after you have been driving at 60. Other careful and/or experienced drivers will have quickly learnt not to be deceived by this. They will know that they need to slow down considerably in order to pass a 30 mph sign at 30 miles per hour NOT 35mph or 42 mph. Do not presume to know how other people drive.

Furthermore you describe driving at 45mph in a 30mph hour zone as being "obvious". I think it is dangerous, reckless, careless and illegal.

Some parts of this town have a speed limit of 20mph.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
No, Matthew you have got that wrong. YOU may feel that 40 feels like 30 after you have been driving at 60. Other careful and/or experienced drivers will have quickly learnt not to be deceived by this. They will know that they need to slow down considerably in order to pass a 30 mph sign at 30 miles per hour NOT 35mph or 42 mph. Do not presume to know how other people drive.

Some parts of this town have a speed limit of 20mph.
^^^ What Speicher said @Matthew_T. Speed is deceptive. 30 feels often feels like a crawl in the car after time on a faster road but on your road bike that'd feel like you were really flying. Just chill a bit and take your time - rushing is a good way to get your blood pressure up and you'll probably never notice the seconds of difference it make to your travel time.

jhawk

Veteran
some of the rest of the conversation/series of questions went along the lines of
me: "press cancel on 2 of the boxes?":surrender:
mum: "I can't see a cancel button"
me: weiry sigh concealed: "just press on the red X on the top right of the copy box"
mum: "(hesitation) its come up with a prompt saying "are you sure you can to cancel", what should I press?"
me: resting the urge to say something along the lines of "you could try saying yes" and settles for "click yes mum"...
mum: "so has it copied them all over?"
me: "is there a box saying copying files from a to be will take x many minutes?"
mum: "yes 13 minutes"
me: "then it is still copying the files over mum"
and so on...

It's okay, I feel your pain! :hugs:

How my Grandparents have been married for almost fifty years without killing each other, I'll never know.

Anyway, here's one that I neglected to post up earlier.

"Morning Dad."
"Coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
"Kettle's already on. Gotcha covered, Old Man!" I didn't even get a good morning until after he'd had his coffee... :sad:

jhawk

Veteran
My apologies for these next two, but they were just too funny and I didn't think of them at the time.

On Remembrance Day, a friend's Facebook status: "Happy Remembrance Day".
Me (quietly to myself): "No way. She didn't just... No... Just ignore it... Just ignore the fact that SHE TREATED REMEMBRANCE DAY AS IF IT WERE A FECKING HOLIDAY." :cursing::cursing::cursing:

And, on that same day, there was another status from a different girl asking what us Brits called "football" - she was referring to American Football. I set that straight. And then, in conversation with another friend.

"No, he's referring to someone who lives in the UK."
"I know that!"
"Ukrainians, is that what they're called?"
"NO. YOU DIDN'T JUST... NO....
"UK AND UKRAINE AREN'T THE SAME PLACE? WHAT?!"
"No, the UK stands for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
"WHAT. ALL MY LIFE I THOUGHT THAT UK AND UKRAINE WERE THE SAME PLACE!"
"No, Ukraine is a small Eastern European country."
"OHHHHHHHHHHHH!" (Like she's just a had a bloody epiphany or something...)

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My apologies for these next two, but they were just too funny and I didn't think of them at the time.

On Remembrance Day, a friend's Facebook status: "Happy Remembrance Day".
Me (quietly to myself): "No way. She didn't just... No... Just ignore it... Just ignore the fact that SHE TREATED REMEMBRANCE DAY AS IF IT WERE A FECKING HOLIDAY." :cursing::cursing::cursing:

And, on that same day, there was another status from a different girl asking what us Brits called "football" - she was referring to American Football. I set that straight. And then, in conversation with another friend.

"No, he's referring to someone who lives in the UK."
"I know that!"
"Ukrainians, is that what they're called?"
"NO. YOU DIDN'T JUST... NO....
"UK AND UKRAINE AREN'T THE SAME PLACE? WHAT?!"
"No, the UK stands for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland".
"WHAT. ALL MY LIFE I THOUGHT THAT UK AND UKRAINE WERE THE SAME PLACE!"
"No, Ukraine is a small Eastern European country."
"OHHHHHHHHHHHH!" (Like she's just a had a bloody epiphany or something...)

I think I get your meaning with small eastern eutopean country but just for the pedantry, Ukraine is roughly 2½ times the size of the UK

Lullabelle

Banana
My colleagues 7 year old son has a copy of the new Grand Theft Auto and she was telling us about a friend who's son had a copy and when she saw what it was about she took it of him, my colleague had no idea what it was about despite a few of the guys here telling her not buy it as it was inappropriate for a child of his age, she let him have it anyway.

Her: is it bad then?
The guys: erm... yes, drugs, prostitutes, people shooting each other and fighting
Her: oh probably not the right thing for him then
The guys: NO

Bad day today!

Since purchase it is the first time I have really taken the CHristiania trike out in the dark.

I have two Lezyne lights on either side of the box so its width is clear

So for the less elighteed citizens of Gosport - No it is not a car!

.. and as for the kids at Whitworth Road - the Christiania is a precision engineered Danish Cargo trike - it is NOT

"A pram with pedals"

" A buggy with a bike attached"

jhawk

Veteran
Apparently, giving the dog syllables to work with doesn't help when giving commands... Who knew? The boy's a bit blonde, so I figured slowing it down would help:

"Akaya, lie down." *Just stands there, blank look on his face.*
"Lie down!" *Again, staunch defiance.*
"Dow-errrr-nuuuh" *Still standing* I end up hauling him down by his collar. I gave him fair chance and even spelled it out for him. That little rascal.

Octet

Veteran
Apparently, giving the dog syllables to work with doesn't help when giving commands... Who knew? The boy's a bit blonde, so I figured slowing it down would help:

"Akaya, lie down." *Just stands there, blank look on his face.*
"Lie down!" *Again, staunch defiance.*
"Dow-errrr-nuuuh" *Still standing* I end up hauling him down by his collar. I gave him fair chance and even spelled it out for him. That little rascal.

You realise dogs can't actually speak English?
They need to learn the commands before you try and give them :thumbsup:

Top Bottom