Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
While reading about the £81M Lottery winner in the paper.

Me: Dad, it wasn't you who won the £81 million was it?
Dad: Haha, nah, wasn't me.^_^
Me: But it says the winner wanted to remain anonymous. Is there something you're not telling me?
Dad: :huh::blink:

Do they actually let you remain anonymous??

If so then that's what I'd choose and no mistake!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Do they actually let you remain anonymous??

If so then that's what I'd choose and no mistake!
Yes, if you tick the right box.
I certainly wouldn't want to advertise a win.

There is a piazza there built on the site of an (oval) Roman amphitheatre, so it sort of is an oval square. Did he mention the town's bike infatuation? It being the 2013 start point for the world championship? Did he at least bring you back a shirt from Antonio Poli's bike shop?

View attachment 24128

My wife thought it was a fix on my part, booking a holiday where we could see a bike shop from our hotel window (I thought it more interesting than the opera house in the same view)

No - he never did. :dry:
All I got was a bottle of italian fizzy water! I shall definitely have to have words with him now!

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar
At "work", during this morning's rowing and navigation lesson after cycling 18 miles from home:
Me; Is there a sport like duathlon but instead of swimming they have rowing?
Hover fly; I have never heard of it.
Me; Perhaps we could invent it, ride from home to the lake, row round an island and ride back home, perhaps we could ask a few of the folk we know if they want to have a go.
Hover; It would be all right to start with, but then more people would want to get involved and there would be keen young things missing the point and taking it all too seriously with expensive kit and special diets, there would be associations with rules, it would get too expensive so people would start getting sponsors, then the yanks would get involved and start braying about how they rule the world at it and the universities would have cycling/rowing sport science degrees.
Me; Perhaps you are right, we will keep quiet about it.
Oars; Splunk, splunk, splunk...

gbb

Squire
Installing a new shaft assembly onto a machine, our leader wanted all four of us all there so we all knew the procedure (he'd had it explained to him over the phone)
Our leader..
'You undo these bolts...blah blah, then blah blah....etc etc'
Then switching to the other end of the shaft....
'I think its the same this side' as he started to undo a clamp.
I said...
'Won't it just pull out now, do you have to undo that ?'
'Oh..you're right' as the shaft slid out nicely.

Two minutes later on the same job, I proffered a short cut solution to the next problem...
'Haha, you're right' came the reply.
'I'm carrying you lot' :headshake: I muttered with mock sarcasm. :laugh:
'Good job someone is' our great and glorious leader replied :laugh:

Later, the nurse said to me...
'Once we inject this into you through pump, you'll feel a warm sensation run through you, don't be alarmed, its quite normal'
I waited 10 seconds and thought...whats the fuss ?
10 seconds after that..i thought...ooer, my face feels flushed.
Seconds later, a warm, almost hot sensation ran right through me, strangely centred on my groin...growing in intensity, a really weird feeling.
'blimey :wacko:...you weren't kidding '

a rather interesting episode today. i was watching some peregrines as they are ready to fledge. one did so, this morning and then we watched as it did nothing much for the rest of the day.
eventually, it took to the air again and was flying well - but, as with last year's first fledging, the dad then chased the bird down. the eyass landed on a window sill, but was still quite high (if they are too low the parents won't go to feed it). it flew again, but couldn't get high and we lost it from sight behind trees. it was traced to a low roof and we went up to check it as it had been mobbed and attacked by two magpies. the peregrine monitor person was creeping up with a blanket to throw over him so we could put him somewhere safe when she said to me:

"can you go around the other way to distract him"

so, i stood in front of the peregrine as my friend attempted to catch it. luckily, he had enough strength left and took off, running right towards me and zooming past a few feet away. we left him, still low on the building, but much safer. hopefully tomorrow he will be rested enough to fly higher.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2485200, member: 45"]Dad: Do you know the way to the reception?
Me: No, but I can get the directions on my phone.
D: Ok, tell me where to go then.
<At this point we're still in a car park driving up the central aisle. We get to the end, still in the car park, and he goes to turn right.
Me: It's left.
D: No it isn't. <turns right>
<get to the wrong car park exit. He goes to turn left.>
M: Right here.
D: No it isn't.
M: Do you want me to give you the directions?
D: Yes.
M: It's right then.
<D turns left. Next junction>
M: Left.
D: No, straight on.
M: Do you want directions?
D: Yes.
M: It's left then.
<D goes straight on. Later, indicates left>
M: Straight on
D: No, it's left.
M: It's straight on.
D: You can't go straight on.
M: Yes you can.
<Do goes straight on>[/quote]

Gordon Bennet, you've got a lot more patience than I have. At the first 'No it isn't', I would've shut up and left him to it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
phone call from son as I'm coming home.

S: are you at home? (usually an ominous question)
M: no, but I'm not far away
S: if you want to see a miracle, get yourself to the old tip road.
M: ok, see you in 10 minutes.

The miracle was my 13 yo daughter who has always professed her dislike of bikes and cycling, riding like a good 'un up and down with a big grin on her face. She's had the bike for 4 days and on Saturday couldn't get more than a couple of feet before wobbling to a stop declaring it was impossible. Yesterday she came to see me off in the Manchester day parade and decided that she would be taking part next year on her bike. Today, miracle transformation & even more happy dad.

gbb

Squire
Was it the contrast solution being injected? Often desribed as feeling as though you've wet yourself, as the hot flush does tend to start at the groin...
It was the contrast solution, yes. Equally wired was how quickly it passed.

Crikey, I'm in a right two and eight, this has been the worst 6 months of my life for health problems.
Horrible, long chest infection that just seemed to go on and on.
Mild pneumonia and then pleurisy.
Hives...Christ that was horrible.
And now I'm sat at home having been sick all night, didnt get up till 12.30... My sick record is normally very good, this year is already my worst. 3 days off.

Arch

Married to Night Train
phone call from son as I'm coming home.

S: are you at home? (usually an ominous question)
M: no, but I'm not far away
S: if you want to see a miracle, get yourself to the old tip road.
M: ok, see you in 10 minutes.

The miracle was my 13 yo daughter who has always professed her dislike of bikes and cycling, riding like a good 'un up and down with a big grin on her face. She's had the bike for 4 days and on Saturday couldn't get more than a couple of feet before wobbling to a stop declaring it was impossible. Yesterday she came to see me off in the Manchester day parade and decided that she would be taking part next year on her bike. Today, miracle transformation & even more happy dad.

Brilliant! Maybe if NT and I get our act together, we'll all be riding together in the parade!:bravo:

another day at Peregrine fledgewatch today. four of us were gathered to keep an eye on the eyasses and two went off to get coffee. they sent a text to the person who stayed with me to say the parent birds were on the other side of the building and quite low, great photo ops.

to be honest, i'd got some shots like it last year, so wasn't fussed. i was fussed about getting coffee, so a while later, as all the juveniles were motionless and quiet, i scooted around to the cafe where the others had been when they'd seen the parent birds. i looked. i walked about a bit and looked again. i looked some more. nothing! i am a terrible birdwatcher.

i mooched back with coffee and told the others how bad i was and they replied

"no, the parents flew back this side just after you left. they flew overhead and one of the young had a little flight"

i looked up and one parent was there and the eyass had moved after its brief flutter.

whenever there was a lull in avian action the rest would implore me to go and get another coffee. pah!

gbb

Squire
The cheek of some people...a colleague said..
'It really irritates me, mum's made me sandwiches and its just ham and pickle, they're really not very good :angry: ' (or words to that effect)
I replied..
'I'd give her a backhander :laugh:...no no only joking, really though, if you want decent sandwiches, do them yourself then... anyway, its late in the day, those sandwiches are past their best '
'Nah, it's not like she's got anything else to do :huh:..she could make a bit of effort on them'
'She's not on this earth just to make your sandwiches mate'
'No seriously, she doesn't really do anything else'
So I ended with.....
'I don't think its your place to dictate what your mum does..or doesnt do...if i was your mum, i'd tell you to get f'kin stuffed :laugh:'

And its NOT my son and wife i'm talking about ...my wife would have told him to get stuffed, in no uncertain terms :laugh:.

gbb

Squire
My son (28) is sitting in the garden with a girl (friend ?)...
'Hey dad, come and look at this'
'Whatcha got ?' as I walk out of the kitchen..
He points skyward, 30 ft above the house is a Red Kite, lazily meandering over the houses.
She says..
'What is it ?'
'Red Kite...amazing really, 20 years ago they'd have been considered so so rare in this country, almost extinct'
'Oh they're lovely, look how big he is'
You could see so much detail and colour as he meandered around for a minute or two.
And now, we see them regularly over our estate on the edge of Peterborough. On my rides into Northants, I once saw 20 plus in one day.
My son said...
'Grandads always gutted when we tell him, 80 odd years old, a nature fan all his life and he's never seen one, ever'

Top Bottom