Gardening/Allotmenting 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Today's first picking of blueberries for 2024 with loads more to come yet.

IMG_20240706_111912.jpg

IMG_20240706_111615.jpg

@Hicky we did the same about 10 years ago but well worth a look around if local or passing by.

Hicky

Guru
Today's first picking of blueberries for 2024 with loads more to come yet.

View attachment 736635

View attachment 736636

@Hicky we did the same about 10 years ago but well worth a look around if local or passing by.

It’s a lovely place and great stop for a coffee but I was shocked at the markup.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hicky, ms Hicky and little cherub have just returned from the David Austin gardens in Albrighton….a lovely few hours. However it is very overpriced.
Notes taken on which varieties we’d like and ones to buy soon…..a quick visit to the local garden centre and 1/3 off the price than in DA.
In the age on the t’interweb what makes companies think people are foolish to pay inflated prices?
(“Cough” John Lewis.)

I bought a DA climbing rose a few years back (online) it been fantastic, produces oodles of flowers every year over all the summer. If you keep dead heading it just flowers and flowers

Sharky

Guru
I'm a complete novice, but have started growing tomatoes. But a couple of them have gone bad.
IMG_20240717_174505.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Update: Google tells me it is "Blossom End Rot"
Lack of calcium?

Last edited:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
A before and after shot of our front lawn having it's first cut for 7+ weeks I felt quite guilty for chopping down the wild flowers .

IMG_20240720_195312.jpg

IMG_20240720_200954.jpg

Needs another couple of going overs tomorrow with a lower blade height.

Next doors won't get done till it's sold and new neighbours move in hopefully.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don't feel too guilty that my lawns are kept short; especially as we have borders stuffed full of verbena, roses, clematis, magnolias, various buddleias, fruit trees and bushes, and a whole load of flowers in pots.
The allotment is similar, plus blackberries, sunflowers, lots more fruit & veg, and some rampant nastutiums and bindweeds.

So I think it fair to say we do a lot for the bees. Which is probably why one stung me the other day. Little stripy git.

Hicky

Guru
What is this and how do I get rid of it….the creeping stuff?
I scarified the lawn earlier in the yeah and it wasn’t there beforehand…its taking over 🤨
IMG_4093.jpeg

tom73

Guru
Just cut it but not on a higher setting cutting grass too short often leads to issues. Also helps to keep it more healthy and thicker agree looks like butter cup it's quite easy to pull the worse of it out.

Hicky

Guru
I think it’s creeping buttercup. I think I’m going to spend a day getting rid and next yr tear it up and seed/turf….

Top Bottom