Gardening/Allotmenting 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Second water butt fitted. I've room for three more.

PXL_20240802_112709802.MP.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_5199.JPG

Don't laugh... OK, you can.. My Sprouts have got a bit Cabbage Whited.
Is there any point in keeping them? ie will they actually produce any af the tasty spheres of loveliness for my Christmas Dinner? 🤔

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
View attachment 741003

Don't laugh... OK, you can.. My Sprouts have got a bit Cabbage Whited.
Is there any point in keeping them? ie will they actually produce any af the tasty spheres of loveliness for my Christmas Dinner? 🤔

I doubt it. We had similar problems with all the brassicas last year but not to that extent - and we got nothing worth picking. And that was after I'd protected everything from the pigeons.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I doubt it. We had similar problems with all the brassicas last year but not to that extent - and we got nothing worth picking. And that was after I'd protected everything from the pigeons.

My Rocket & Kale has taken a bashing, too, but Chard & Spinach are fine!
If I grow them next year I'll invest in some nets. Or a pea-shooter. 🔫

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have various tripwires set up to deter the pigeons at the minute. But the blackbirds have started digging soil out of all the pots - we're storing small trees that are being grown for a rewilding project so there's a lot for them to attack. At least they won't eat the trees.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Hopefully done the right thing on one of our blueberry bushes, they are 10+ years old never been trimmed but the one branch is starting to get a bit leggy and making its way out of the frame, so with lots of fresh growth towards the base of the branch I have decided to chop it off and hopefully the new growth will provide some fruit next year.

The pictures are pre cutting

IMG_20240817_132916_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240817_132921_HDR.jpg

I Love to see photos of English gardens. Sadly the weather here is too hot in the summer to grow veg but I have tried tomatoes successfully. The soil is very sandy (just up the road from a quarry) over rock. I had two 30' pine trees die last year because of the heat and dryness.
I enjoy the weather for cycling though, but avoid midday temperatures.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Had a picking session in the garden earlier enough runner beens for us and next door, a dozen strawberries, enough mixed size and shape tomatoes for us and next door and then enough rhubarb to go with some apples I already had to make a crumble.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Some animal or other has been getting into my compost bins. This afternoon, despite the very cold wind, I went out to clear up the mess they make.

I am not sure who was more shocked when I lifted the lid of the compost bin, and did not expect to see one that close. I think it was a young badger, with a body about 24 inches from head to tail. It could not get out by itself by grabbing the top edge of the bin. Fortunately I was able to offer assistance by lifting its back end with a dustpan.

The little hatch at the front of the compost bin has been barricaded with three bricks on the ground, and some lightweight small branches on top.

Top Bottom