Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Off topic a bit, but following a hunch I was just having a virtual drive around in Google maps and somehow I drove the camera into a ditch and rolled it over. I managed to right it and continue my virtual journey and I'm no closer to Naming That Road.
View attachment 685945
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8...4!1sEFFUmYU0fGMnksQ8Cc0fSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Its a weird place for sure, 2 years earlier a lady was walking a 2 headed dog in the same spot!
1681735956639.png

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
By the way, I did eventually find the cattle grid I had in mind. it was nearby but not on that haunted road. It was vaguely similar but wasn't the right place.

swansonj

Guru
Yes, but I was thinking of her husband, Thomas Firbank. That road leads to Dyffryn Mymbyr farm, which is the farm he bought and then wrote about in I Bought A Mountain. When they divorced, he gave it to her, and she established the Snowdonia Society there (it's now a National Trust holiday cottage - we've stayed there which is when I cycled up that road rather than just along the valley).

Anyway, I Bought A Mountain is an absolute classic of mountain writing, evocative, romantic, and funny. The chapter describing how they set new records for the Welsh 3000s is required reading for everyone who loves being in the hills.

So over to you.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
When you wrote this
If someone knows this, or at least knows the reason why, in certain circles, it is famous, it will go quickly. If not, clues can follow...
I was thinking more of something like a Tour of Britain crash on it 🤣

swansonj

Guru
When you wrote this

I was thinking more of something like a Tour of Britain crash on it 🤣

I will agree that I Bought A Mountain is not as well-known as it was in a previous generation, and therefore my "in certain circles" are probably quite limited circles - but I stick by my guns that no-one who loves the hills should go through life not having read it😀. And Cyclechat members are quite a cultured bunch, no?😀😀.

OldShep

Über Member
I will agree that I Bought A Mountain is not as well-known as it was in a previous generation, and therefore my "in certain circles" are probably quite limited circles - but I stick by my guns that no-one who loves the hills should go through life not having read it😀. And Cyclechat members are quite a cultured bunch, no?😀😀.

I read IBaM some 40 years ago because I was a hill shepherd. Recall feeling sorry for Esme all through the book. She was put upon and if we had had a daughter we would have named her Esme.

swansonj

Guru
I read IBaM some 40 years ago because I was a hill shepherd. Recall feeling sorry for Esme all through the book. She was put upon and if we had had a daughter we would have named her Esme.

While we're waiting for @alexandersmith to post the next challenge...

When you read I Bought A Mouhtain, I don't there's any real hint that their marriage was in trouble. But in his follow-on about his wartime years, I Bought A Star, we learn that by the time IBAM was published they'd already separated. As I recall, he finished IBAM from Spain (or maybe south of France) where he'd moved out to. So you could well be right that she didn't get a good deal from the marriage. He was restless and looking for new challenges; she was umbilically attached to Eryri/Snowdonia.

OldShep

Über Member
While we're waiting for @alexandersmith to post the next challenge...

When you read I Bought A Mouhtain, I don't there's any real hint that their marriage was in trouble. But in his follow-on about his wartime years, I Bought A Star, we learn that by the time IBAM was published they'd already separated. As I recall, he finished IBAM from Spain (or maybe south of France) where he'd moved out to. So you could well be right that she didn't get a good deal from the marriage. He was restless and looking for new challenges; she was umbilically attached to Eryri/Snowdonia.

That’s interesting and not surprising. My lasting impression was nothing on the farm would have got done if it wasn’t for her.
A friend of mine, also a shepherd at the time, on holiday nearby chapped on the door to ask for water. In the pretence to meet her of course but no one was in.

Top Bottom