Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The road is a well-known cycling challenge, and I'm sure someone here must have ridden it. It's featured on decisive stages of the Milk Race but I don't think it's featured on any of the more recent professional variants.

Heading westwards, by the time you reach the spot in the picture the devilish part is well behind you.
Oh blimey, I think that might be too much of a clue - I'll have to start searching now, having previously had no idea where to look!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I thought it was Wales.

The road from Llanwtryd Wells to Tregaron, after climbing the Devil's Staircase.

Tregaron, Wales
https://maps.app.goo.gl/xaAwCai15D8Fmo5k7

Happy memories of a tour over there a few years back.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I thought it was Wales.

The road from Llanwtryd Wells to Tregaron, after climbing the Devil's Staircase.

Tregaron, Wales

Having originally been distracted by the Devil's Elbow, I was just busy staring at the Devil's Staircase, and was about to turn round and head that way - well done!

Alex321

Guru
I thought it was Wales.

Tregaron, Wales

My Parents in law lived in Tregaron. I wasn't cycling much then, but I do remember being up there one time when the Milk Race was on, and it came through Tregaron while we were there.

I did think that road looked familiar. I've never cycled it, but have driven it quite a few times.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

Quick one this I think as there's some fairly obvious clues....

Name that road!

20230210_153915.jpg

roubaixtuesday

View attachment 685923 Can't really believe I am the first to find this given the easy clues in the picture, but B5053 north of Longnor.

The minor road turning off is to Hollinsclough and the Rake, which is a brutal climb but has some of the best views in the whole of the Peak, across the fossilised coral reefs of Chrome Hill and Parkside. Highly recommended.

Over to you

swansonj

Guru
1681717351484.jpeg

If someone knows this, or at least knows the reason why, in certain circles, it is famous, it will go quickly. If not, clues can follow...

Name that road.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Can't really believe I am the first to find this given the easy clues in the picture, but B5053 north of Longnor.
I was caught out by the grass area! I looked at every junction around there but somehow missed that. The stupid thing is that it was where I thought it was and looking in the direction that I thought too. I must be a bit more careful to pan round more when checking these things.

Well done!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah, I misunderstood how the sign worked... The village names are not on the side of the stone facing the villages. They are on the opposite side that you would see when heading towards them!

Alex321

Guru
Off topic a bit, but following a hunch I was just having a virtual drive around in Google maps and somehow I drove the camera into a ditch and rolled it over. I managed to right it and continue my virtual journey and I'm no closer to Naming That Road.
View attachment 685945
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8...4!1sEFFUmYU0fGMnksQ8Cc0fSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Does that mean the google camera car had gone into the ditch there?

I drove along the dual carriageway the other side of the valley on Friday, going to Abergavenny for a concert (Maddy prior & the Carnival Band).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Top Bottom