Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
apart from the orientation of the road (camera pointing west) and 'not that yorkshire border', i was unable to decipher your other clues... but i did find it here.

the curious feature on the left looks like a sluice gate to me.
newton lane.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
apart from the orientation of the road (camera pointing west) and 'not that yorkshire border', i was unable to decipher your other clues... but i did find it here.

the curious feature on the left looks like a sluice gate to me.
View attachment 687790
Well done!

I'll explain the clues...
  • My singlespeed bike is not great on big hills! (Identified the bike and agreed that it is a flat area.)
  • We were... (I usually ride solo, but on that occasion I had company.)
  • ...far from that Yorkshire border. (You got that one.)
  • The shadows on the road are telling you something. (And you got that one too - riding east to west.)
  • One of the things that has changed is the curious roadside structure on the left. (Reminding you that there is something there, and suggesting that you think about what it is for. I'm fairly sure that it is a viewpoint for 'twitchers'.)
  • Another changed thing... My bike. It never used to look like that! (The only thing that you can tell from that picture is that it (now) has a single pannier.)
  • Yes, t'Ings have changed... (That's twice that I posted t'Ings.)
  • ...Much more appealing to people now than they used to be. (Ings used to be unattractive, but now are not ***)

I had previously mentioned that there was an area of water to the left of the road. It looked like a sunny day in early Spring. I was riding in a flat part of Yorkshire with other people**. I was on my singlespeed bike, which I have been posting about recently equipping with a pannier instead of using a backpack. There is a bird-watching site overlooking water to the south of an east-west road. 'Ing' is a Yorkshire word for a water meadow or marshy area. So, look for suitable Ings with bird-watching facilities. Such as Fairburn Ings, which has an RSPB visitor centre!

** Such as Saturday, my Garforth forum ride the thread for which I conveniently provided a GPX file of the route!

*** The Ings are in a former coal mining area. When the mines closed, the area was scarred by the former industry. Slag heaps, and collapsed mine workings... It looks very nice now though!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I tell you what - I had a turn over the weekend so I'll donate my next one... @tripletail52 - over to you! :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I forgot that I had posted this one!

Ok, here are a few clues... It is in Yorkshire. There are no shadows to judge the direction from, so I'll tell you - we are looking approximately NW. The crossroads sign might be misleading you... Only one side is actually a road!

Top Bottom