Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
With the clues given I've found it but as I don't intend to set the next one I'm not sure I want to stop the fun!

Perhaps I might post an equivalent streetview image (dated 2009) which I don't think gives the game away:

Venod

Eh up
Just beat me to it.

1605726489207.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well done @Venod

The hill is Shutlingsloe, also having the somewhat overrated moniker of the "Macclesfield Matterhorn"(!)

It's one of my favourite roads, despite the Hanging Gate pub having met its demise a couple of years ago, previously having one of the best views from a beer garden anywhere *and* an entirely downhill run to Macclesfield afterwards.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Well done @Venod

The hill is Shutlingsloe, also having the somewhat overrated moniker of the "Macclesfield Matterhorn"(!)

It's one of my favourite roads, despite the Hanging Gate pub having met its demise a couple of years ago, previously having one of the best views from a beer garden anywhere *and* an entirely downhill run to Macclesfield afterwards.

Bugger that was on my next hill to investigate list. But been out riding bike so not all bad! I’m from originally from out that way and some family still in Macclesfield but haven’t been that way since Feb due to pandemic. Normally see Shutlingsloe from the north.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Thanks @Aravis are our screen grabs at the same place but different years ?

Here is the next one, I have only been up this hill but there are no clues in that view so this is a view down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It must be the Peak District, because I think it looks like North/West Yorkshire! :laugh:

Another distinctive hill in the distance...

I'm busy for the next few hours. If this one is still running this evening, I'll see if I can come up with any ideas.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It has the look of the North Yorkshire Moors looking North to the sea, the distinctive "hill" being one of the old iron mining spoil heaps, I think all since levelled. Is that the sea on the horizon?

But if it is, the road isn't obvious to me.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
News that it is the sea in the distance made me think of something: a minor road I drove up once at the Scarborough end of the Yorkshire Wolds. It climbs due south from the village of Flixton and doesn't seem to have a name:

A change of season makes it look rather different but all the features seem to be there.

Venod

Eh up
A change of season makes it look rather different but all the features seem to be there.

Correct,your turn.

I have driven up the hill this year, the last time I cycled up was May 1st 2015 we had parked at Sledmere and ridden through Dalby Forest to see the Tour De Yorkshire come through we then rode on to Scarborough for the finish, then back to Sledmere.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just checked a tracklog that I had for the 2016 TdY... We went very close to that road, but turned right at Folkton, on the way back from Filey. I don't know what is wrong with the GPX file but it appears that whoever recorded it was riding pretty fast...! )

:laugh:

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Perhaps this one's going to fall flat.

This is the view back from just around the corner, explaining some of what you see in the first picture:

It's very close to a county boundary.

The railway line underneath the bridge no longer exists but nearby some of the same line is a heritage railway.

The area is one that Steve Abraham ventured to occasionally in his glory years.

Top Bottom