Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Okay, here is my next one...

Name That Road #59.jpg

Name That Road!

Er, actually, I can't find a name for it... Locate That Road! :okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It certainly went over my head (and still does!).
PS Why on Earth did you ride along that monstrosity!? :eek:

The hotel next to the junction is the Tickled Trout. When i was a kid, Tickled Trout was the unofficial name of junction 31.

It was my first big ride; Lancaster to Rossendale. At the time it made perfect sense to just go the same route the bus took :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think this is from your Devon nest, rather than your Yorkshire eeyrie.
Correct.

I don't get out much (to many places in the UK) , but one of the areas that I have been getting to over the past 3 years is Devon, since my sister bought her retirement cottage there.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's the one - well done.

It is a deceptively hard climb to get up there from Crediton. There are steep ramps, bends, and dips, but then...rinse and repeat! The thing is, you can't actually see the road ahead properly as you climb. There are a couple of places where you would think that you were close to the summit, but then the road kicks back up and you realise that there is a lot more to come. It really caught me out the first time that I did it.

If you look at the profile you can see that there are several places where thee shape of the climb hides what is to come, and the bends make this worse...

Fordton climb profile.png

If you follow Street View from the bottom of the climb (straight on at the crossroads), you will see what I mean.

Anyway - over to you again, Guy.

GuyBoden

Guru
You're very lucky, it looks good for cycling around that part of the Devon. Some of the hedges look very high on both sides, so it must seem like cycling in a tunnel at times.

I only started looking for the NTR yesterday as I've been in Egypt snorkelling in the Red Sea Coral, I found the NTR by looking at radio masts in Devon near Crediton. The mast at Rowhorne Road looked similar and it transpired that the NTR was nearby.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Antenna_towers_and_masts_in_Devon

This picture on the radio masts web site was how I found the NTR.

est_along_Rowhorne_Road_-_geograph.org.uk_-_871235.jpg

Top Bottom