Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Bostal Road. I think your bike was parked just beyond the bush on the right. If I move one step forwards the bush is no longer visible:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8...4!1sgLVxeM0u7YViJEK7K13H7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Bostal.png

robjh

Legendary Member
Bostal Road. I think your bike was parked just beyond the bush on the right. If I move one step forwards the bush is no longer visible:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8...4!1sgLVxeM0u7YViJEK7K13H7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

View attachment 678510

You beat me by moments! I'd just found that skyline and was looking for the right spot on the road. Well done.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well done @Aravis There's not much in the way of structures but I thought the South Downs skyline would be quite distinctive. For a while I thought one of the silhouettes on the skyline was actually Ditching beacon, but after studying maps I think I was mistaken. I think you can also see Shoreham by Sea over on the right.

I'd just ridden up Steyning Bostal which is challengingly steep

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Well done @Aravis There's not much in the way of structures but I thought the South Downs skyline would be quite distinctive. For a while I thought one of the silhouettes on the skyline was actually Ditching beacon, but after studying maps I think I was mistaken. I think you can also see Shoreham by Sea over on the right.

I'd just ridden up Steyning Bostal which is challengingly steep
Nice one, but OMG I didn't even recognise my home turf of the South East.
Eyes in the open position from now on...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was thinking it must be that area before the strong hint; there only seemed to be one pair of masts to find the right view of, but it sounds as though @robjh and I were racing neck and neck along the road in search of the exact spot!

Here is the next one. I regret I haven't worked out any clues yet:

Hill2.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't have any idea but I'm going to bet that the little lump of a hill in the mid-ground has a local nickname like "Devils Shovelful" or "Devils Footrest" or somesuch. It sees quite distinctive.

(Although it might be a very boring feature seen from an interesting angle)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Boring it certainly isn't, but a few minutes' surfing has failed to find an interesting nickname for the hill. There is however a webpage written by an enthusiast including some spectacular photographs. I will provide a link when this is all over.

Google's photographic attempts aren't bad either. A little closer, it looks like this:

Hill.png

Mike_P

Guru
Thinking it might not be a natural hill but a reclaimed spoil heap ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thinking it might not be a natural hill but a reclaimed spoil heap ?

I've been searching hill forts in Wiltshire. The ridge in the distance reminds me of the WIltshire hills you can see from the Great Western mainline. I'm probably wrong.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
I think I just found the hill on Google maps using 3D but will wait for the result to see if I hit the mark (or not - there are quite a few hills in the area and I could be miles out, or even counties ;))

Top Bottom