Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Looks like phone mast

Looks a bit old-school for a phone mast. Could be wrong, but would think more radio than phone.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I sense that a clue is expected. There've been others in this thread from close by, and I seem to remember them being solved quite quickly. It's a road I don't think I've ridden since the 1970s.

Maybe Totes Emoji will help: 🐎🖋️⛰️

robjh

Legendary Member
I sense that a clue is expected. There've been others in this thread from close by, and I seem to remember them being solved quite quickly. It's a road I don't think I've ridden since the 1970s.

Maybe Totes Emoji will help: 🐎🖋️⛰️

Hmm, if I read your emojis correctly then I was already looking around that area, but without success. (Goes off to Google Street view, again....)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Maybe an alternative first emoji might be easier to interpret correctly.

1fa93.png

1f58b.png

26f0.png

or maybe even

1f4f0.png

1f58b.png

26f0.png

Finding out how to make them big should be a relief for everyone. In case it wasn't apparent before, the original first emoji was supposed to be
1f40e.png

robjh

Legendary Member
Maybe an alternative first emoji might be easier to interpret correctly.

View attachment 675929

View attachment 675930

View attachment 675931

or maybe even

View attachment 675932

View attachment 675933

View attachment 675934

Finding out how to make them big should be a relief for everyone. In case it wasn't apparent before, the original first emoji was supposed to be

View attachment 675935

I've looked all around Hackpen Hill in Wiltshire, but so far to no avail.
There are transmission masts a few miles away at Foxhill and Membury, but they don't quite look like that one and so I am still no warmer.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've looked all around Hackpen Hill in Wiltshire, but so far to no avail.
There are transmission masts a few miles away at Foxhill and Membury, but they don't quite look like that one and so I am still no warmer.
Ah - a case of disambiguation required.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Exactly right. The scorched earth from last summer is a bit startling, isn't it?

I must admit, without having checked I thought this was in Berkshire, so just as well I didn't use the "Who Let the Dogs Out" clue...

So @robjh, @swansonj is offering you the baton if you wish to accept it. :smile:

robjh

Legendary Member
Hackpen Hill in Oxfordshire. But honestly, I would feel a fraud taking this one, after robjh got the name and aravis basically said that was right but there was more than one to choose from.

View attachment 675981

Well done @swansonj , you get that one. I had a notion there was another Hackpen Hill in that area but I still can't find it called that on google/google maps. I did find one in Devon but that clearly wasn't the right scenery.

Also, my original feeling about the line of downs near Marlborough was spot on - I had a few enjoyable months cycling round there while working in Swindon a few years ago.

swansonj

Guru
20221203_150828.jpg

OK, fraud or not, here you are...

I was cycling here just before Christmas and though it could be a good one because the trees in the middle distance are moderately distinctive. But by the time I'd stopped and taken gloves off and got phone out, the mist had descended. So, as you see, there's not a lot to go on in that picture. Someone may still recognise it; if not, I'll either post streetview's version or go back up and take a better picture myself.

NTR😀

Top Bottom