FNRttC 4th September to Whitstable 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
recce was very good! very good day out infact! two shades of tan too! got home about 8pm with 106miles on the clock, my second ton this week.

we didn't check out any pubs, i was too busy buying rock! hehe! but am sure the breakfast bar will be suitable for an all dayer! it serves beer!

thanks again to dell and User10571 for a great day!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The recce was a salutary reminder of the difference between flattish and rolling. It's a tougher ride than Bognor. After Greenhithe the road never quite settles, and you're continually shuffling from gear to gear. The reward is in the open skyline, the views over the Thames and, as I mentioned, the prospect of sunrise on the way to Faversham. This is the ride where it really pays to spend time at the back (I'll probably TEC for most of the way) - you get to see a string of red lights making their way across the marshes ahead of you. Stirring stuff.

Both Andy's Cafe and the Waterfront are looking forward to seeing us, and, yes, as Davy says, the Waterfront does have a license.

Tim Hall

Ooh! There's a thing. Here am I on holiday (today it is mostly raining and Goonhilly) and I see a Tim H on the list. Yet I have yet to ask to go along. Must be all that talk of time travel they have at the visitor centre.

(Trans: Simon, please add me to your list. I'll give Jan and Scott a nudge too)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Tim Hall said:
Ooh! There's a thing. Here am I on holiday (today it is mostly raining and Goonhilly) and I see a Tim H on the list. Yet I have yet to ask to go along. Must be all that talk of time travel they have at the visitor centre.

(Trans: Simon, please add me to your list. I'll give Jan and Scott a nudge too)
There is more than one Tim H! So, you're on the list as Tim Hall.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
The recce was a salutary reminder of the difference between flattish and rolling. It's a tougher ride than Bognor. After Greenhithe the road never quite settles, and you're continually shuffling from gear to gear. The reward is in the open skyline, the views over the Thames and, as I mentioned, the prospect of sunrise on the way to Faversham. This is the ride where it really pays to spend time at the back (I'll probably TEC for most of the way) - you get to see a string of red lights making their way across the marshes ahead of you. Stirring stuff.

Both Andy's Cafe and the Waterfront are looking forward to seeing us, and, yes, as Davy says, the Waterfront does have a license.

Excellent. Good work, Gentlemen. Pleased to see that these recce rides address all the most crucial questions.

BigSteev

Indeed. Well as that appears to have sorted any issue I may have had, I guess I'd better put my name in the hat for attending.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
BigSteev said:
Indeed. Well as that appears to have sorted any issue I may have had, I guess I'd better put my name in the hat for attending.
You're more than welcome. Care to join me for some TECing?

mike e

However, as Simon said earlier, if the conditions are right this is one of the best rides to sit at the back and watch the long line of flashing lights as far as the eye can see.

Note to self - stop getting excited about the ride I cannot attend.

Note to self (2) - plan FNRttC first, weddings other trivial rubbish after.

It's not my own wedding by the way!!

TimO

Guru
dellzeqq said:
...This is the ride where it really pays to spend time at the back (I'll probably TEC for most of the way) - you get to see a string of red lights making their way across the marshes ahead of you. Stirring stuff.

Only so long as TEC duties don't end up with you being so far behind that the string of red lights is waaaaay beyond visibility.

No punctures this ride people, eight was eight too many last time, we've used up the allowance. :surrender:

(Although to be fair, I think everyone had their own spare tubes, and mostly completed the swap almost entirely themselves, with minimal aid in refitting tyres and pumping up).

mike e

I've already been threatened, hence I've decided to make the effort to come down for tomorrow's Southend ride.

Top Bottom