FNRttC 4th September to Whitstable 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheech9

Hi, I'm keen to go on this ride. Will be heading there with Marco as well.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Marilyn B
Louise L
Katsura I
Barry J
Andrij B
Peter W
Adrian C
Matt L
Martin F
Clive B
Tim O
Andy C
Stuart A
John G
Matthew S
Els V
William C
Jo H
Jane D
User10571 B
Claudine C
Al MacD
Chris M
Davy S
Andrea W
Andrew A
Lee 1010
Alastair S
Anthony McC
Kim W
Andrew B
Tim H
Nicholas T
Luke C
Mick D
Alina E
Tynan D
Mark T
Richard C
Colin C
Jack M
Captain Adam Kirk
Alan B
Alan L
Tim Hall
Steev
Paul R
Ian S
Ruth C
Chris T
Andrew T
Andy A (who will not be going down the towpath!)
Greg C
Charlotte S
Ned L
Des O'D
Stephen B
Chris B
Adam B
Michelle de V
Frank L-P
Katie C
Conan H
Will A-C
Scott E
Jason F
Lisa C
Marco C
Helen B
Tanya G - which makes about 70
Iain C
Dan P
Isa T

I'm away for a few days now, so excuse the silence............and, other than old hands and CTC members that's about it.

ChrisM

Guru
This is my first Fnrttc , I know the pre read says wear layers, just wondering what most wear at this time of year and I dont what to expect ie how cold it will get out of town at that time of night. Please excuse my ignorance ut I've never ridden out of town at night
Cheers
Chris:smile:

mike e

ChrisM said:
This is my first Fnrttc , I know the pre read says wear layers, just wondering what most wear at this time of year and I dont what to expect ie how cold it will get out of town at that time of night. Please excuse my ignorance ut I've never ridden out of town at night
Cheers

Hi Chris, hope you enjoy your first night ride, bit of an odd month is Sept, could be warm or could be cold. I would start with about 8 layers and maybe a jacket or 2 in a rucksack just in case.............;):biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously, a decent base layer, and a light mid layer (fleece type top) and a wind/showerproof jacket should do you fine. Should be still ok for shorts, might want to pack some thin tights if it turns a bit chilly. Gloves may be preferable to mitts out in the sticks where you will feel the cold more so than in London. Hope this helps, enjoy the ride.

mike e

Just to add - a jacket that packs small enough to be stowed in a pocket or seatpack will help if it's warm at the start of the ride i.e in town!!

It has been surprisingly cold, at points, on each ride so far. The last one was held after a beautiful day, but once we left the halfway stop the brisk chill took hold for a short while. Dawn, and a super sunrise dispelled that soon enough though.
Arm warmers (can be worn but kept rolled down or stuffed in pocket), mikee's idea of gloves is good, but start in mitts etc, and maybe a 'buff' in the pocket or loose around your neck to ward off draughty moments. Shouldn't need leg warmers yet but many prefer to wear bib longs for the duration anyway.
A paclite or Montane Featherlite or similar is ideal and compact - can be hung from your saddle etc.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
May was nippy, jacket and bib longs were needed to my mind, July I was fine in jersey & shorts, Bognor I did feel a bit of a chill at times but not too uncomfortable. I was in the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains with some chums from bikeradar over the weekend, some of them seemed to be feeling the odd nip in the air more than me. This ride, I reckon back to bibs as the nights are drawing in.

mike e

StuAff said:
May was nippy, jacket and bib longs were needed to my mind, July I was fine in jersey & shorts, Bognor I did feel a bit of a chill at times but not too uncomfortable. I was in the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains with some chums from bikeradar over the weekend, some of them seemed to be feeling the odd nip in the air more than me. This ride, I reckon back to bibs as the nights are drawing in.

As the ride starts at midnight, I would say the night has already "drawn" in...;):biggrin:

Damn, I've started posting again on the ride I'm not riding......:biggrin:

Paddington

ChrisM said:
Cheers
Chris,
Welcome aboard! I tend to suffer from the cold, and would rather run the risk of being too hot. Look at the forecasts, BBC, Metcheck, but mostly Simon's cat for the minimum temperature, then deduct 2C for forecast error/beautiful patches of mist etc - another 2C for the fact that body clocks think you should be doing something else at 4am and finally bear in mind that the average cycling speed is not that high. So I am almost always in bib tights and will probably have gloves on for this one!

TimO

Guru
I think I just wore my normal daytime cycling kit for the last one, ie short sleeved jersey, shorts, and mitts. The one prior to that, I had on a long sleeved jersey, and was glad when we hit some patches of cold mistiness.

For September's, if the forecast isn't much different from now, I'll wear the short sleeved jersey again, and just pop a long sleeved thin fleece top in my bag, just-in-case.

On the other hand, I seem to run a bit hot than many people, and regularly cycle in the late evenings, so know what to expect. As others have said, look at the temperature before you leave, then knock a couple of degrees off for being somewhat later, and then a couple more for being outside of the Urban Heat Island of London.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
ChrisM said:
Cheers

I hadn't either until I did the Brighton run in July. I then used my learned experience for the August run to Bognor.

I highly recommend arm warmers as they're quick to get on and off and small to pack. I wore leggingings over my shrts on the Brighton run for speedy stripping and that was also a good tactic.

On the Bognor run I wore shorts and a short-sleeved jersey, using my arm warmers from about two hours in until the end of the ride and it was more than enough. Oh, I also wore very long socks (knee length) and pulled those up after the break to keep the calves a bit warmer.

Top Bottom